HomeGroupsTalkExplore

The Arabian Nights

by Anonymous

This is a reproduction of a book published before 1923. This book may have occasional imperfections such as missing or blurred pages, poor pictures, errant marks, etc. that were either part of the original artifact, or were introduced by the scanning process. We believe this work is culturally important, and despite the imperfections, have elected to bring it back into print as part of our continuing commitment to the preservation of printed works worldwide. We appreciate your understanding of the imperfections in the preservation process, and hope you enjoy this valuable book. ++++ The below data was compiled from various identification fields in the bibliographic record of this title. This data is provided as an additional tool in helping to ensure edition identification: ++++ The Thousand And One Nights; The Thousand And One Nights; Edward William Lane; Volume 3 Of The Thousand And One Nights: The Arabian Nights' Entertainments; Edward William Lane Stanley Lane-Poole Edward William Lane Bell, 1906… (more)

Spanish (6)  English (5)  All languages (11)
I decided as I had been reading stories set in this part of the world it was about time I read this book. I chose this one mostly for the illustrations which are very pretty. The stories were much as I expected, but with a lot more religious dedication embroiled into them. I was pleased to learn more about Efrites, Sultans, Viziers, Princes, Fairies, and dwarfs. The stories contained in this volume seemed to be aimed towards a young audience: The History of Codadad, Ali Baba, Sindbad, Aladdin, The Three Calenders, King of the Ebony Isles, Baba Abdalla, and Ganem. ( )
  AChild | Oct 18, 2021 |
This is a collection of stories largely about Muslims and the worship of Allah as they are told from a Muslim point of view they are often biased in the way other faiths are portrayed.

Quite frankly if this had not been on the 1001 Books to read before you die list I would not have got to the end, there is endless repetition and nearly everyone has faces like the moon, punishment is biblical and Muslims cannot fail to convert the world.

That said the stories often have a moral point and could be considered educational at least in a moral sense, it contains many fables and the basis of fairytales and fantasy fiction so it has been hugely influential on the kinds of books we read today. ( )
  BookWormM | Jan 15, 2016 |
A children's book from 1912 with beautiful illustrations and color plates. ( )
  AliceAnna | Oct 17, 2014 |
Everyone has heard of Aladdin and Scheherazade -- read the original tales! My edition (inherited from my grandfather) published in 1916 is free of today's concerns about political correctness or prejudice about Arabs, and the color illustrations are amazing! ( )
  leslie.98 | Jun 26, 2013 |
This is the story about Scheherazade who marries the sultan in order to stop him from killing his wives. He was married previously, and found out that his wife was cheating on him, so in order to get revenge, he would marry a new wife every day and have her killed the next morning. Scheherazade would tell the sultan a story each morning and end with a cliff hanger so that the sultan would want to hear the ending the next day. It reminded me of how television shows end the season with a cliff hanger in order to lure you back into watching it the next season. Who can forget the summer when we couldn't wait to find out who shot J.R. on Dallas? After telling story after story for 1001 nights, the sultan decides to keep Scheherazade around.

This was a very old edition of this book, and one thing I liked about it was the fact that it had a lot of footnotes explaining the terminology or the history of specific parts of the story. Something that disappointed me in the stories was the fact that in so many of the stories there is a beautiful, rich girl who is the most beautiful girl in the world, or the most beautiful girl ever seen. How realistic is that? Also, there seemed to be wealthy sultans or merchants in every story with rooms full of gold and jewels. It even mentioned one girl who wore so many jewels that she could hardly walk. Again, this was very unrealistic. But if you view these as fairy tales, then I guess you can have all the gold, jewels, and beautiful girls you want in them. ( )
  gcamp | Sep 12, 2011 |

Anonymousprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Burton, Sir RichardTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Diniz, AlbertoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lane, EdwardNotessecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Payne, JohnNotessecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Szyk, ArthurIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Torrens, HenryNotessecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sir, there was formerly a merchant who had a great estate in lands, goods, and money.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 182,949,787 books! | Top bar: Always visible