Grandmothers' Stories: Wise Woman Tales from Many Cultures

by Burleigh Muten

When Heena came out of her house, Rainbow was waiting in her garden, glowing like a pearl in the light of the Blessing Moon.

I really loved this book, and now that I know it's a collection, I might have to bump Grandfather Mountain up to five stars too. I just love all the stories from different cultures around the world. "The Midwife and the Djinn," from Senegal; "Old Mother Holle," from Germany; "The Old Woman Who Was Not Afraid," from Japan; and "The Old Woman Who Was Right," from Sweden, are my favorites. As before, the frequent illustrations and the panoramic artwork that scrolls across the bottom of each page are done beautifully, and I especially love the latter because they show the story linearly. I would really love to own this book and Grandfather Mountain together. ( )
  mirikayla | Feb 8, 2016 |
Grandmothers' Stories paints a different picture of the old woman figure that is seen across many young children's fairy tales. The book is comprised of eight stories from different cultures that focuses on the characteristics of the wise old woman. It is full of humor and suspense as the book depicts beautiful illustration of each culture.
  sosandra | Jan 21, 2010 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 159,234,175 books! | Top bar: Always visible