Vamps and the City

by Kerrelyn Sparks

Series: Love at Stake (2)

Who says a vamp can't have it all? Darcy Newhart thought it was a stroke of genius--the first-ever reality TV show where mortals vie with vampires for the title of The Sexiest Man on Earth. As the show's director, Darcy's career would be on track again. And she can finally have a life apart from the vampire harem. Okay, so she's still technically dead, but two out of three's not bad. Now she just has to make sure that a mortal doesn't win. If only she wasn't so distracted by a super-sexy and live contestant named Austin... But Darcy doesn't know the worst of it. Austin Erickson is actually a vampire slayer! And he's got his eye on the show's leggy blond director. Only problem is, he's never wanted any woman--living or dead--as badly. But if he wins her heart, will he lose his soul? And if it means an eternity of hot, passionate loving with Darcy, does that really matter anyway?… (more)

I'm sorry, but people keep saying that this series is great, which it may be but this book was lame. I don't like the whole turning back into a human from vampire concept. And honestly the sex scenes in this book lacked. I would have enjoyed this book more if the whole turning back into a human wasn't present and the sex scenes came off a little better. ( )
  hixxup79 | Feb 23, 2020 |
This reader's personal opinion, ©2019, all rights reserved, not to be quoted, clipped or used in any way by goodreads, Google Play, amazon.com or other commercial booksellers*

I actually don't have much to say about this one other than it was a fun, romp of a read. I liked the first book of this series better, possibly because less breezy.

I rooted for all the good guy characters. And it was good to see the harem from the first book get a good resolution in this one.

The ending seemed kind of forced. As fun as the book was, everything was pretty predictable and in some instances too lighthearted or humorous. In other instances, the humor was spot on for me.

If I dwell on the ending too long, I'll start taking stars off my rating because was very much just too glib, almost deus ex machina

*©2019.  All rights reserved except permission is granted to author or publisher (except Penumbra Publishing) to reprint/quote in whole or in part. I may also have cross-posted on Libib, LibraryThing, and other sites including retailers like kobo and Barnes and Noble. Posting on any site does not grant that site permission to share with any third parties or indicate release of copyright.

Ratings scale used in absence of a booklikes suggested rating scale:

★★★★★ = All Time Favorite
★★★★½ = Extraordinary Book. Really Loved It.
★★★★☆ = Loved It.
★★★½☆ = Really Liked.
★★★☆☆ = Liked.
★★½☆☆ = Liked parts; parts only okay. Would read more by author.
★★☆☆☆ = Average.   Okay.
★½☆☆☆ = Disliked or meh? but kept reading in hopes would improve.
★☆☆☆☆ = Loathed It. Possibly DNF and a torturous read.
½☆☆☆☆ = So vile was a DNF or should have been. Cannot imagine anyone liking.  (Might also be just an "uploaded" word spew or collection that should not be dignified by calling itself a "published book." If author is going batshit crazy in the blogosphere over reviews -- I now know why they are getting bad reviews.  Or maybe author should take remedial classes for language written in until basic concepts like using sentences sink in. Is author even old enough to sign a publishing contract or do they need a legal guardian to sign for them?) ( )
  Spurts | Apr 11, 2019 |
I was able to get drawn into this book easier than the first. It's still not quite what I expected from this series but it was enjoyable. I like the idea of a vampire TV station and reality show. I also really liked the main couple in this volume. Yes it was cheesy at times, but sometimes that's the kind of book you need to read. I also liked learning a bit more about Roman's harem and seeing them evolve. ( )
  MynTop | Apr 8, 2016 |
This is pure bubble gum for the brain! Darcy is still struggling to find her place in the vampire world after a violent encounter four years ago ended her human life. She's grieving her humanity and tries to distract herself from her troubles by directing a vampire reality show, unaware that Austin, Vampire Slayer and CIA Operative for the "Stake Out" team is working undercover as one of the contestants. Austin falls head over heels, but his principles are challenged when he finds out Darcy is one of the undead.

The scenes with the show's contestants were extremely entertaining and just the kind of "out there" humor I needed after reading a couple of "tear-jerkers." The relationship moved too fast, but something about this series has me suspending all belief and just enjoying the ride. It was nice to get a small update on Shanna and Roman, too. I loved the way the book ended, even if it was a bit predictable. Overall, the book flowed nicely and was a lot of fun to read. ( )
  Becky_McKenna | Mar 10, 2016 |
This is the second book in the Love at Stake series. I read the first one on an all night work shift...it was good, this one was way better. I love the depth Sparks brings to her characters, how you can actually see them caught between disaster and happiness and longing and pain. Its amazing. I love Darcy and Austin, they are adorable together, now I am ready to see Connor get his girl. I am a bit annoyed that Darcy couldn't see past her anger to not blame Connor so much, he just wanted to try and help and she is always, well, not very nice to him. I do have to say the ending is a bit predictable, not the end end, but the climax, it is pretty predictable, not complaining though, it is still a very good story. There is a sufficient amount of steam in this book...I'd say somewhere between the first book in this series and the third Anita Blake. I enjoyed this book and will continue to enjoy it as well one my favorites I think. ( )
  rosetyper9 | Nov 12, 2015 |
To my son, Jonathan,

and my daughter, Emily --

May you live long,

laugh loud,

and love deeply.

And may you never be pestered

by the sort of creatures

you mom writes about.
"Eight-twenty, P.M., male Caucasian, five-foot-ten, 180 pounds, mid-twenties, leaving a white Honda Civic," Austin Erickson murmured into his mini-recorder.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 163,136,186 books! | Top bar: Always visible