Lady Cottington's Pressed Fairy Book

by Terry Jones, Brian Froud (Illustrator), Brian Froud

Series: Lady Cottington (1)

This is a reproduction of the diary of Lady Angelica Cottingham, which features pressed garden fairies. Or rather the psychic images of the fairies, who quickly turned it into a game, where they leapt between the closing pages in an effort to outdo each other to produce the most outrageous poses.

English (24)  Tagalog (1)  Finnish (1)  All languages (26)
I've had this book since I was very young, and have held onto it as a spectacular source for imagination prompting and to just flick through every once in a while. The illustrations are highly detailed and evocative, and the journal-like style really whisks you away ot another world. ( )
  AdmiralCarter | May 13, 2022 |
I didn't mind but I do want to warn others that there are pictures of nude fairies in here (full frontal and plenty of butt cracks). Just wanted to warn parents that want to share a book about pressing fairies as if they were flowers with their young'uns. Pressing flowers is an any-age type of activity but a book about pressing fairies, who aren't always dressed, should probably be labeled at least Young Adult.
--------

I came across Robin Hobb using the Cottington Fairies instead of butterflies to get a point across: described writing as “chasing butterflies and trying not to crush them” and interviewer asked her to expand on the idea. “I get an idea, I can see it, and it’s absolutely beautiful, and I start writing it and I get it trapped on the page and it’s not what I meant to write,” she said.

“And the rewriting is arranging the little body and trying to make it look nice! I enjoy rewriting much more than I do doing first drafts. It’s really hard, but rewriting, you at least have something to work with, and you can make it better. First drafts are very hard for me.”

https://harpervoyagerbooks.co.uk/2014/08/19/george-rr-martin-and-robin-hobb-were..... ( )
  Seayla2020 | Aug 22, 2021 |
More of a pick-up-on-occasion sort of a book, and very silly. Fun, in a, "No more than four pages with coffee in the afternoon," Sort of a way - and that's a good thing. ( )
  wetdryvac | Mar 2, 2021 |

This was a perfect combination. Fun drawings of fairies teamed with humour ( )
  Damiella | Aug 18, 2020 |
Interesting. Not that I like squished fairies. ( )
  Greymowser | Jan 23, 2016 |

Terry Jonesprimary authorall editionscalculated
Froud, BrianIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Froud, Brianmain authorall editionsconfirmed
July 6, 1895: Nanna wuldnt bleive me.

In 1995 Lady Cottington's Pressed Fairy Book was released to an unsuspecting public. Called "an unstoppable phenomenon" by its publisher, it became an immediate international best-seller. Now 2005 can be named the Year of Lady Cottington with the 10th anniversary of the publication that first exposed the world to the science of fairy exploration.

This volume records in authentic facsimile the latest incarnation of this notorious book along with eight additional pages and enhanced artwork throughout, virtually overflowing with freshly flattened fairies. Former Monty Python member Terry Jones and artist Brian Froud provide a new introduction to place the book in its proper perspective, offering insight into the book's often maligned historic relevance. As a bonus, included is an incriminating DVD showing rare film footage of the elderly Lady Cottington in her garden demonstrating her fairy-squashing technique, as well as a photo gallery, desktop wallpaper, and screensavers.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 171,964,417 books! | Top bar: Always visible