dismiss

Griffin & Sabine: An Extraordinary Correspondence

by Nick Bantock

Series: Griffin & Sabine (1), Griffin & Sabine Series (1)

It all started with a mysterious and seemingly innocent postcard, but from that point nothing was to remain the same in the life of Griffin Moss, a quiet, solitary artist living in London. His logical, methodical world was suddenly turned upside down by a strangely exotic woman living on a tropical island thousands of miles away. Who is Sabine? How can she "see" what Griffin is painting when they have never met? Is she a long-lost twin? A clairvoyant? Or a malevolent angel? Are we witnessing the flowering of a magical relationship or a descent into madness? This stunning visual novel unfolds in a series of postcards and letters, all brilliantly illustrated with whimsical designs, bizarre creatures, and darkly imagined landscapes. Inside the book, Griffin and Sabine's letters are to be found nestling in their envelopes, permitting the reader to examine the intimate correspondence of these inexplicably linked strangers. This truly innovative novel combines a strangely fascinating story with lush artwork in an altogether original format.… (more)
    S. by Doug Dorst (dizzyweasel)
    dizzyweasel: Interactive letter writing between two persons who become romantically involved without meeting. Real letters, postcards interspersed throughout.
    Lady Cottington's Pressed Fairy Book by Terry Jones (wosret)
    Palimpsest by Catherynne Valente (kalexa)
    Brave on the Rocks: If You Don't Go, You Don't See by Sabrina Ward Harrison (derelicious)
    The Adventuress by Audrey Niffenegger (Hibou8)

English (59)  French (1)  German (1)  All languages (61)
Highly unusual book made up of letters between Sabine and artist Griffin Moss, two individuals who have never met, yet Sabine clearly "sees" the artwork that Griffin makes as he's making it across the other side of the world. Engaging and you want to get to the next short book simply to see what happens next. ( )
  phoenixcomet | Mar 17, 2020 |
What a clever way to tell a story! Simple story but absolutely enjoyed the format! ( )
  Terrie2018 | Feb 21, 2020 |
Having read the second and third books, I of course had to read the first. And having read them, this one is rather unsatisfying. I'm enjoying the two of them getting to know each other, and incidentally telling us-the-readers about themselves...and suddenly Griffin declares that Sabine doesn't exist? All the other pieces have cancelled stamps etc - which I suppose could be art, but there's no hint of that until those final pieces. It doesn't come off as a cliffhanger (again, I started with the second book, so it might have if approached properly), but more as the author jerking us around. Annoying. Still, I want to see the rest - see if there's any there there. ( )
  jjmcgaffey | Oct 20, 2018 |
I am so glad I got all three of the books in this trilogy from the library. So! Good! I love the format, with real envelopes in the book with letters inside. Not only am I craving the next two books, I'm also craving real paper correspondence. Then again, even if I did deocorate an envelope, or make my own postcard, it wouldn't hold a candle to the artistry in these books. ( )
  hopeevey | May 20, 2018 |
A very different kind of story. I liked the novelty of opening up the envelopes to read some of the correspondence. ( )
  SMBrick | Feb 25, 2018 |

Bantock, NickAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Goddijn, AnnekeTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Turning and turning in...
For Kim Kasasian
Griffin Moss It's good to get in touch with you at last.
"Pain and beauty, our constant bedfellows"
Griffin: It's good to get in touch with you at last. Could I have one of your fish postcards? I think you were right—the wine glass has more impact than the cup. —Sabine
This is the original edition of Griffin & Sabine: An Extraordinary Correspondence (1991). Please distinguish it from both the Tenth Anniversary Limited Edition (2001) and the 25th Anniversary Limited Edition (2016), each of which adds new content.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 147,976,973 books! | Top bar: Always visible