Magician: Apprentice (1982)

by Raymond Feist, Bryan J. L. Glass

To the forest on the shore of the Kingdom of the Isles, the orphan called Pug came to study with the master magician Kulgan. But though his courage won him a place at court and the heart of a lovely Princess, he was ill at ease with the normal ways of wizardry. Yet Pug's strange sort of magic would one day change forever the fates of two worlds. For dark beings from another world had opened a rift in the fabric of spacetime to begin again the age-old battle between the forces of Order and Chaos.… (more)

This was my first book by Raymond E. Feist. It was an amazing introduction to the world of Midkemia. It has to be read together with the second part, magician: master because it touched a lot of stuff but didn't finish it yet. So I can't recommend it as a stand-alone.
The book followed the point of view through several characters, some better than others. I definitely liked more characters from the second half of the book.
The only downside for me was that I've expected more magic involved in the story, due to the name Magician. But I guess that it gets better because this book isn't a completed story. Also, some decisions by the main characters were a bit questionable.
I definitely look forward to reading the second book of the Riftwar trilogy, Master. ( )
  Mandalor | Jun 21, 2022 |
Þokkaleg fantasía. Lýsir uppvexti ungra vina þegar heimur þeirra verður fyrir innrás ókunnra andstæðinga úr öðrum heimi. Mikil átök verða og leiðir vinanna skiljast en þeir eiga eftir að hafa mikil áhrif á framgang beggja heima. ( )
  SkuliSael | Apr 28, 2022 |
I thoroughly enjoyed this book and would recommend it to my friends and acquaintances. There is not much to complain about, other than the fact that it, at times, was a bit slow. Overall, it was a nice read. Definitely hooked me in for the rest of the series, which is all you can ask for in the starting book of a series. ( )
  Jack_Henick | Nov 4, 2021 |
Well, I gobbled that one right up-2nd installment in the Rift War series, and I am ready to move on-loving Feist's writing, loving all these characters.

This installment deals a lot with life on the other side of the rift, how Pug's life changes and who he becomes. There are changes in the world of Midkemia also, and we watch and become terrified at what is becoming of Tomas-One thing I missed though was the map of Midkemia-this one only had the Empire of Kelewan map, and I would have liked both. I know, I could Google it-just not the same when I have to hold a book and a phone and try to figure out where in the world is Carmen San Diego!!!

[a:Raymond E. Feist|8588|Raymond E. Feist|https://images.gr-assets.com/authors/1190654917p2/8588.jpg] you have me hooked-I am a new fan and am waiting for the day when I can make that rating 5 stars...almost there! ( )
  JBroda | Sep 24, 2021 |
This is a part of a personal challenge to read older fantasy.

After reading the 1st half of this book I was almost sure it was just a 3 star read for me. The second part of the story, the author upped his game. and blew me away.

This is the usual tale of a young boy, a kingdom in peril and magic. The problem I had with the first half was too much information was being poured out, and it seemed there were just so many different races of people moving around. I thought, "what the hell-does this guy thinks he is Tolkien, he can't create another Middle Earth!" In the second half of the book everything came together for me and it all worked. I apologize Raymond E. Feist-yes you can, yes you did, and I loved it.

This was Feist's first publication, but the edition I read was a re-issue "Author's preferred edition". In the forward to this book he says he changed nothing and added only small things that had been originally cut due to the length. I am glad of that, this being my first venture with Feist.
I am defiantly going to continue this series and watch as his writing and world building grow.

Do I recommend this? In all honesty this an old school Good VS Evil story-but Feist had a story to tell and it is a darn good one-If you love good epic fantasy then yes I recommend this 100%
  JBroda | Sep 24, 2021 |

Raymond Feistprimary authorall editionscalculated
Glass, Bryan J. L.main authorall editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

The Riftwar Cycle, Alternative Reading Order (Riftwar Saga, Book 1, Part 1)
The Riftwar Cycle, Publication Order (The Riftwar Saga, Book 1, Part 1)

Belongs to Publisher Series

Goldmann (24616)
A boy's will is the wind's will, And the thoughts of youth are long, long thoughts. – Longfellow, My Lost Youth
This book is dedicated to the memory of my father, Felix E. Feist, in all ways, a magician.
The storm had broken.
This worrying about the future is a dry sort of work. I think it would be benefited by a mug of strong ale.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 174,077,884 books! | Top bar: Always visible