Outer Banks (1991)

by Anne Rivers Siddons

They came together as sorority sisters on a Southern campus is the '60s: Elegant Kate, walking a tightrope over an abyss of lies ... Sensitive, sensible, self-contained Cecie ... Ginger, the sexy, vibrant heiress, richer than sin ... and poor, hopeless, brilliant Fig. Four young women bound by rare, blinding, early friendship -- they spend two idyllic spring breaks at Nag's Head, North Carolina, the isolated strip of barrier islands where grand old weather-beaten houses perch defiantly on the edge of a storm-tossed sea. Now, thirty years later, they are coming back. They are coming back to recapture the exquisite magic of those early years, to experience again the love, enthusiasm, passion, pain, and cruel betrayal that shaped the four young girls into women and set them all adrift on the ... Outer Banks.… (more)

I wanted to read this book back when it first came out and purchased the book in paperback at some point, intending to read it. I got rid of the unread paperback in a move, but when a Kindle deal came up years ago, I purchased it. It sat unread on my Kindle for years until I made a trip to the Outer Banks this week. I expected most of the book to be set on the Outer Banks, but little of it was. The story focuses on four sorority sisters. One girl is quite creepy; another stole the narrator's boyfriend and married him. The narrator suspects cancer returned. She prefers to deny it as the "pacmen" eat her. That references dates the novel's relevance for today's readers. When the one owning an Outer Banks home invites her, she does not want to go. However, her husband talks her into going. By this point, it is well past the 50% mark of the novel. I did not like the turns the novel took from this point forward. Determination to finally finish the novel kept me reading although I wanted to abandon it before the narrator finally arrived in the Outer Banks from New York. This was not the "happy beach read" I expected. ( )
  thornton37814 | Mar 5, 2020 |
Great lead in, back story, going back and forth in the novel and then it made no sense and took a turn A saga that starts in the 60's to "today", about sorority sisters and their future lives. ( )
  sunnydrk | Apr 13, 2019 |
good novel 4 sorority girls - time together + 25 years later.
Katie - bred aristocrat, Ginger $, Fig - weird author
Cecie - dry - willow wisp.

christinejoseph | Dec 27, 2015 |
Sorority sisters return to the Outer Banks to rekindle friendships after 30 years. Can it happen?????
  SABC | Aug 1, 2014 |
Elegant Kate, walking a tightrope over an abyss of lies; Cecie, self-contained, sensitive and sensible; Ginger, the sexy, vibrant, richer-than-sin heiress and poor, hopeless, brilliant Georgina, nicknamed Fig - came together as sorority sisters on a Southern campus in the 1960s. Four women bound by rare, blinding and early friendship. They spend two idyllic spring breaks at Nag's Head, North Carolina, the isolated strip of barrier islands where grand old weather beaten houses perch defiantly on the edge of rugged cliffs overlooking a storm tossed sea. Now, thirty years later, they are coming back - back to recapture the magical memories of those early years, to experience again the love, the enthusiasm, the passion, pain and cruel betrayal that shaped these four young girls into vibrant young women and set them off on the courses of their lives.

I really enjoyed this book. I think that Anne Rivers Siddons is perhaps one of my favorite authors and I give this book an A+! A definite 5 and a half actually! :) ( )
  moonshineandrosefire | Apr 5, 2012 |

Anne Rivers Siddonsprimary authorall editionscalculated
Critt, C JReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Nelligan, KateReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 162,308,632 books! | Top bar: Always visible