Carnet de voyage

by Craig Thompson

In 2004, on the back of the international success of Blankets, Craig Thompson set out on a tour across Europe and Morocco, promoting foreign editions of his book and researching his next project. Carnet de Voyage is the gorgeous sketchbook diary of these travels. From wandering around Paris and Barcelona between events, to navigating markets in Fez and fleeing tourist traps in Marrakesh, we see glimpses of each place, rendered in Thompson's exquisite ink line. While desert landscapes and crowded street scenes flow, the sketchbook is packed first and foremost with people - other travelers passing through, friends and lovers he meets along the way and old friends and other cartoonists that weave in and out of Thompson's life. Carnet de Voyage is a casual yet intimate portrait of a celebrated cartoonist at a moment between his two seminal works - Blankets and Habibi.… (more)

English (24)  Italian (1)  French (1)  All languages (26)
If you pick this book up expecting it to be a sequel to "Blankets," you will be disappointed. Pick up "Habibi" instead. This little book is Craig's journal of his tour overseas in the wake of the success of "Blankets." It is not meant as a polished narrative, and should not be read as such. However, as snippets of traveling, observations of daily life, and insight into the life of an artist, it is charming and insightful. ( )
  resoundingjoy | Jan 1, 2021 |
I've never read anything by Thompson before (another Library Journal find) so it was a little funny to read this autobiographical account of a European book tour. It's a lovely graphic novel with portraits of the people he meets in France and an account of a side trip to Morocco. Now I'm curious and want to check out his other books. (June 29, 2005) ( )
  cindywho | May 27, 2019 |
Love his drawing style. Really good. Fun, light read but didn't hold my attention all that well. ( )
  lydiasbooks | Jan 17, 2018 |
Now I'm envying Craig Thompson, jet lag, diarrhea or no. I was left with a vivid image of a trip, especially to Morocco. I read it all in one sitting this afternoon at my local library and its comparable to just having awoken from a dream, perhaps a stronger sensation than what I've experienced after some actual holidays. Craig knows a lot of nice people. My what camaraderie and refinement! Lucky man to have his publishing companies foot the bill. Lucky readers to have him document it so interestingly. ( )
  brianfergusonwpg | Oct 21, 2016 |
It really is a journal of his 3 months travel through Europe and Morocco while promoting his graphic novel Blankets and studing for something new. It contains a recollection of his steps though his art, it's beautifuly made and you get to know a little bit more about the author. Although he was alone when he wrote this I felt like I wanted to be there to share his company and all the while I was travelling along with him anyway. Good reading. ( )
  Glaucialm | Feb 18, 2016 |
With over 200 pages, there are copious illustrations to examine in detail and ponder the hands and mood that created them. Travel affects the mind in so many ways, and it’s a pleasure to be part of Thompson’s journey.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 163,114,001 books! | Top bar: Always visible