Burglar Bill (1977)

by Janet Ahlberg, Allan Ahlberg

232789,658 (4)11
Burglar Bill decides to change his way after he becomes a victim of burglary.

Very fun, and (thank goodness) it ends well. The conceit is a clever one, and much joy can be wrung from the plethora of detail in each lovely illustration--you can play I spy with your young loved one on almost any page.

(Note: 5 stars = amazing, wonderful, 4 = very good book, 3 = decent read, 2 = disappointing, 1 = awful, just awful. I'm fairly good at picking for myself so end up with a lot of 4s). I feel a lot of readers automatically render any book they enjoy 5, but I grade on a curve! ( )
  ashleytylerjohn | Oct 13, 2020 |
The story is not half bad and the art was alright but I feel that the story is also unacceptable for a young child to read this. The book shows that there are no real consequences to stealing. Not even an apology is needed in this! Horrible lesson possibility! Even though the burglar changes his way there were no discipline for him in any way. I would not let my young child read this. ( )
  jljaina | May 16, 2015 |
A 1001 CBYMRBYGU.

Everything Burglar Bill has is stolen. His entire house is filled with stolen things. One day, while out stealing, Burglar Bill accidentally discovers a baby. He plays with the baby all day, and then takes the baby home with him. One day, someone decides to steal from Burglar Bill. It is Burglar Betty. The two burglars meet and discover that the baby Bill stole was Betty's baby. Because Betty frightened Bill so much while stealing from him, Bill reforms and decides to never steal again. He becomes a bread-man in a bakery and the two get married. ( )
  debnance | Jul 18, 2011 |
In my experience - one child - this is an excellent book. I must have read it out loud hundreds of times night after night ( )
  jon1lambert | Feb 4, 2009 |

Ahlberg, Janetprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Ahlberg, Allanmain authorall editionsconfirmed

Burglar Bill decides to change his way after he becomes a victim of burglary.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 160,708,057 books! | Top bar: Always visible