Bone Volume 5: Rock Jaw Master of the…

Bone Volume 5: Rock Jaw Master of the Eastern Border (2007)

by Jeff Smith

Fone and Smiley are on their own in the midst of the Rat Creatures. They meet Rock Jaw, the Master of the Eastern Border. Fone an Smiley do a great job keeping themselves and their forest friends alive.
  edwardcandler | Feb 12, 2017 |
At first when I started reading this I was worried because it felt like it was Jeff Smith venturing into the dreaded "middle ground" territory that I was mentioning in the most recent posting about Bone (the previous volume of the series that I reviewed). I was scared that Jeff Smith was simply utilizing a device to create more issues of the Bone series, but once I got to the end of this slightly shorter volume I recognized that what Smith was creating here was some more tension. Also introducing some other characters while showcasing the heart of a few important characters that we had seen in previous volumes. This volume made me actually like the two rat creatures that have been roaming around since the beginning of the series. Smith has a way of creating the world through his artwork due to its beauty and then sucker-punching us with the dialogue that takes place within that world. This is something that I wish I could see as an animated series because I believe it would work with a great company backing it with the right finances. This volume proved that even filler material can have a place within the context of a series if it makes you feel something that you have not felt for characters in the series. This definitely did and due to that it is still making this series one of my all-time favorite graphic novel reads ever. I highly suggest this series to anyone that wants a great read because you will enjoy it. There is something here for everyone. From the beautiful artwork to the mystery surrounding characters. There is even a bit of romance for those that enjoy that. Truly this series has something for every single person that would ever want to read it, so pick up a copy at your bookstore, library, or anywhere else you can get this because it will be worth your time! ( )
  SoulFlower1981 | Jan 20, 2016 |
Trying to return a rat creature cub to the mountains, Fone Bone and Smiley Bone encounter yet another adversary: the sly and mighty mountain lion, Rock Jaw.

Fone Bone and Smiley Bone strike out into the wilderness to return a lost rat creature cub to the mountains. It doesn't take long before they run smack into Rock Jaw, "Master of the Eastern Border," an enormous mountain lion with a none-too-friendly disposition.

lkmuir | Nov 23, 2015 |
My blog post about this book is at this link. ( )
  SuziQoregon | Sep 2, 2015 |
Three Bones, Fone Bone, Phoney Bone, and Smiley Bone, are run out of Boneville after Phoney Bone tries to pull a scam on the townspeople. They get separated in a desert. Fone Bone, the most honest of the bunch, eventually finds marooned in a beautiful valley. All is not as peaceful as it appears, however. There are rat creatures trying to eat Fone Bone and an enigmatic dragon who keeps saving his skin.

This has potential, but it didn't really get anywhere in this first installment. I had more questions when I finished it than I did when I started it. I can't think of one question that got answered. That's the biggest reason I rated this three stars.

I did like the artwork. It reminded me of the cartoons I watched as a child.

I don't really have anything else to say. I don't feel like I know enough about what's going on to add anything else.

Readers more patient than I am will probably like this more than I did. I just want to have something explained. ( )
  JG_IntrovertedReader | Apr 3, 2013 |
Este libro es para Krishna y Avaday Iyer
¡Mira!
¡Ahí! ¿Lo ves? ¿No es hermoso?

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 043970636X, Paperback)

Trying to return a rat creature cub to the mountains, Fone & Smiley Bone encounter yet another adversary: the sly and mighty mountain lion, Rock Jaw.

In this fifth volume of the BONE saga, Fone and Smiley Bone strike out into the wilderness to return a lost rat creature cub to the mountains. It doesn't take long before they run smack into Rock Jaw, "Master of the Eastern Border," an enormous mountain lion with a none-too-friendly disposition. Life gets even more complicated when they befriend a group of baby animals who are being orphaned by rat creature attacks. Everything comes to a head in an earth-shattering clash between Rock Jaw and Kingdok, the leader of the rat creatures.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:27 -0400)

The adventure starts when cousins Fone Bone, Phoney Bone, and Smiley Bone are run out of Boneville and later get separated and lost in the wilderness, meeting monsters and making friends as they attempt to return home.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 137,367,321 books! | Top bar: Always visible