Flight, Volume Two

by Kazu Kibuishi (Editor)

Other authors: Chris Appelhans (Cover artist), Neil Babra (Contributor), Bannister (Contributor), Vera Brosgol (Contributor), Joana Carneiro (Contributor)28 more, Clio Chiang (Contributor), Catia Chien (Contributor), Becky Cloonan (Contributor), Phil Craven (Contributor), Giuseppe Ferrario (Contributor), Michel Gagné (Contributor), Amy Kim Ganter (Contributor), Rodolphe Guenoden (Contributor), Ben Hatke (Contributor), Don Hertzfeldt (Contributor), Herval (Contributor), Doug Holgate (Contributor), Kazu Kibuishi (Contributor), Kness (Contributor), Hope Larson (Contributor), Khang Le (Contributor), Sonny Liew (Contributor), Johane Matte (Contributor), Jake Parker (Contributor), Richard Pose (Contributor), Justin Ridge (Contributor), Rad Sechrist (Contributor), Ryan Sias (Contributor), Jeff Smith (Contributor), Kean Soo (Contributor), Doug TenNapel (Contributor), Jen Wang (Contributor), Matthew Woodson (Contributor)

Series: Flight (2)

An anthology of short stories, by a variety of the international artists. Includes the full-color work of top animators at Pixar, DreamWorks, and other studios, emerging Web cartoonists, and established comic book and graphic novel creators.

English (11)  Norwegian (1)  All languages (12)
This is the second volume in Kibuishi’s Flight series. As with the first Flight volume this is a collection of graphic short stories. I thought this volume was much, much better than Flight Vol 1. The stories were just consistently more entertaining and better quality.

This volume contains short stories from a variety of genres and styles. Illustration style varies widely, as do the story types. Most of the stories were appropriate for all ages but there were a few that were best suited for older teen and up. I was reading this with my 9 year old son looking over my shoulder at times and there were some stories that I skipped and came back to when he wasn’t there.

Highlights of the book for me were:
Inner Sanctum by Michel Gagne: Very cute story with beautiful artwork.
Solomon Fix by Doug TeNapel: This was a hilarious story and I enjoyed it a lot.
The Orange Grove by Kazu Kibuishi: Another touching story about a boy and his childhood friend being separated.
Ghost Trolley by Rad Sechrist: About a young boy who runs away from home and boards a train that goes between realms.
A Test for Cenri by Amy Kim Grant: I loved the fantasy theme to this one and the beautiful illustration. Not to mention is was action packed!
La Sonadora: Another beautifully illustrated piece about a girl who is trying to retrieve a star.

Although the above were my favorite, there weren’t really any stories in here that I disliked...which given the variety is pretty amazing.

Overall this was a wonderful collection of graphic novel short stories; I definitely plan on checking out later Flight volumes. I would highly recommend this Flight volume to fans of graphic novels. There is just such a wonderful variety of art and story in this volume, it is all very high quality and just a pleasure to read. ( )
  krau0098 | Feb 19, 2016 |
A great range of story telling and art but the theme of "flight" that was present in the first volume seems to nearly have been abandoned. There is occasionally a small hint to the overall theme of this set of stories such as a butterfly in the background or a feather or an artistic emphasis on the sky. I really enjoyed the different artistic takes on the theme so to see less of that was disappointing. As with the first set, there were some stories and artistic styles that I enjoyed much more than others. I didn't like this set as much as the first so we'll see how the following volumes shape up. ( )
  TrekkieChickReads | Feb 9, 2016 |
  TrekkieChick29 | Oct 27, 2015 |
A very imaginative and creatively drawn collection of short stories. Probably my favorite short story collection, although that isn't particularly hard since I find short stories strangely annoying. I will definitely be seeking out other volumes in this series and works by the authors/illustrators features in this one. ( )
  swampygirl | Dec 9, 2013 |
Another visually stunning collection in this series. I was again impressed by how much weight is carried by the wordless submissions in this volume. ( )
  albertgoldfain | May 30, 2012 |

Wang, JenContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Woodson, MatthewContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

Flight (2)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 173,829,513 books! | Top bar: Always visible