Advise and Consent by Allen Drury

Advise and Consent (1959)

by Allen Drury

Series: Advise and Consent (1)

English (12)  Hebrew (2)  English (14)
The inside flap to Advise and Consent states it is "...a story so sweeping and complex in its conception that each segment alone would make an enthralling book." Right. I'm sure that's why the entire story is over 600 pages long. Drury has crafted five segments: Bob Munson's book, Seab Cooley's book, Brigham Anderson's book, Orrin Knox's book and Advise and Consent.
Advise and Consent opens with the announcement of the President of the United State's controversial appointment of Bob Leffingwell as Secretary of State. Right away Drury's language is witty and mischievous as if there is a twinkle in the eye of the storyteller. If you have ever watched "House of Cards" then you know how deviously politics can be played out. Advise and Consent is no different. ( )
  SeriousGrace | Nov 29, 2016 |
This is one of the most memorable books on politics I have ever read. I read it as a kid sometime in the 1960s and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Advise and Consent is a 1959 political novel by Allen Drury that explores the United States Senate confirmation of controversial Secretary of State nominee Robert Leffingwell, who is a former member of the Communist Party. The novel spent 102 weeks on The New York Times Best Seller list, won the Pulitzer Prize for Fiction in 1960 and was adapted into a successful 1962 film starring Henry Fonda. It was followed by Drury's A Shade of Difference in 1962, and four additional sequels.
  gmicksmith | Mar 18, 2016 |
Actually a pretty decent read. The tale of a controversial nominee for Secretary of State is quite timeless, as are the political infighting and behind the scenes machinations. ( )
  AliceAnna | Sep 9, 2014 |
Interesting subject, but the cast of characters is too large and it moves rather slowly.

Recommended for Hill staffers and fans of the West Wing/House of Cards. ( )
  mcenroeucsb | Oct 13, 2013 |
Each year since 1944 I have picked a book of the year--the book deemed by me at the end of the year as the best book I read that year. This book was the best book I read in 1960, a year in which I read 33 books--5 fiction and 28 non-fiction. This book was fiction, but I really ate it up because it was about political matters and politics has been a prime interest of mine since I was 8 years old. ( )
  Schmerguls | Jun 3, 2013 |

Allen Druryprimary authorall editionscalculated
Altschuler, FranzIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,637,536 books! | Top bar: Always visible