The Beautiful and Damned (1922)

by F. Scott Fitzgerald

Fitzgerald's second novel, a devastating portrait of the excesses of the Jazz Age, is a largely autobiographical depiction of a glamorous, reckless Manhattan couple and their spectacular spiral into tragedy. Published on the heels of "This Side of Paradise," the story of the Harvard-educated aesthete Anthony Patch and his willful wife, Gloria, is propelled by Fitzgerald's intense romantic imagination and demonstrates an increased technical and emotional maturity. "The Beautiful and Damned" is at once a gripping morality tale, a rueful meditation on love, marriage, and money, and an acute social document. As Hortense Calisher observes in her Introduction, " Though Fitzgerald can entrance with stories so joyfully youthful they appear to be safe-- when he cuts himself, you will bleed."… (more)
    The Age of Innocence by Edith Wharton (TineOliver)
    TineOliver: Both look at love and marriage in the upper classes of New York society (however, at different time periods)

This is the story of an unhappy marriage. F. Scott Fitzgerald is a masterful writer, and he brings to life the misery of discontent and idle habits. An interesting but thoroughly miserable read. 3.5 stars. ( )
  DrFuriosa | Dec 4, 2020 |
I guess the prose is kind of gorgeous, but it's hard to appreciate that when I spent pretty much the whole book rolling my eyes at the lowkey racism, highkey misogyny, general heterosexual nonsense and characters I couldn't stand. ( )
  elusiverica | Aug 15, 2020 |
I actually like Scott Fitzgerald's books, but it didn't convince me that much. I think all the pleasures and sensations are too long for me. It could also have been made shorter to bring the contents of an 'impoverished' rich couple across at the end of WWI. ( )
  Ameise1 | Mar 29, 2020 |
Only got about 6% into The Beautiful and the Damned before I gave up. I also bailed on Tender is the Night. At some point I'll probably tackle This Side of Paradise just to confirm that I have no use for any of Fitzgerald's novels except Gatsby.
  AngeH | Jan 2, 2020 |
Every once in a while I will see a 2-star review for Hamlet, or Pride & Prejudice, or some such, and I will laugh at the hubris. That fact alone may explain why this is a 3 rather than a 2-star review. I fear people scoffing at me the way I scoff at those ridiculous 2-stars-for-Hamlet fools. So my fragile ego and the fact that Scott could write the hell out of sentence make this a 3-star. There were sentences so perfect in this I sighed with something approaching arousal. (Yes, great writing turns me on. Go ahead and judge me, but as a fetish advanced literary craftsmanship is rather tame.) The story in The Beautiful and Damned, on the other hand, made me sigh only with vexation. Gloria and Anthony are horrible characters. I don't say that because the are bad people or because I did not like them. They are bad people, and I did not like them, but often I enjoy reading about bad people I don't like. No, Gloria and Anthony are bad characters because they are one-note, charmless, stupid, lazy, vapid half-formed people. They are, simply, not interesting. This is a couple that makes Vanessa and Nick Lachey seem like Simone de Bouvior and Jean Paul Sartre. What happens to them does not matter. Was I sort of rooting for them to die in ditches covered with suppurating sores? Yeah, maybe. But I wasn't rooting with real gusto because I just did not care enough to bring any gusto to the party. The reading of this book brought on feelings of impatience and lethargy. I am no literary critic, but I am pretty sure that is a bad thing. Things improved in the last 75ish pages, but the improvement did not significantly redeem the whole. One good thing about the end of the book, the introduction of Dot made me realize there could be a character more unappealing than Gloria.

Also, it is worth noting that Scott really toned down his racism and anti-semetism in Gatsby and This Side of Paradise. Both were on regular and appalling display here. It is physically uncomfortable to read parts of this book even when you go in knowing that Fitzgerald was a White Power kinda guy. ( )
  Narshkite | Sep 19, 2019 |
". . . its slow-moving narrative is the record of lives utterly worthless utterly futile. . . . It is to be hoped that Mr. Fitzgerald, who possesses a genuine, undeniable talent, will some day acquire a less one-sided understanding."

Fitzgerald, F. Scottprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Cheshire, GerardContributorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Engel, Mary BessCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Hagen, DonNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Harleman, PaganIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Leyendecker, J. C.Cover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The victors belong to the spoils.
-Anthony Patch
To Shane Leslie, George Jean Nathan, and Maxwell Perkins
in appreciation of much literary help and encouragement
In 1913, when Anthony Patch was twenty-five, two years were already gone since irony, the Holy Ghost of this later day, had, theoretically at least, descended upon him.
The notion of sitting down and conjuring up, not only words in which to clothe thoughts but thoughts worthy of being clothed...

Legacy Library: F. Scott Fitzgerald

F. Scott Fitzgerald has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See F. Scott Fitzgerald's legacy profile.

See F. Scott Fitzgerald's author page.

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141187816, 0141195002

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

Urban Romantics

2 editions of this book were published by Urban Romantics.

Editions: 1909676713, 1909676721

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,482,838 books! | Top bar: Always visible