Theodore Rex by Edmund Morris

Theodore Rex (2001)

by Edmund Morris

Really, really great book. I enjoyed this as much as the first in the trilogy by Morris about the life of Teddy Roosevelt. What a fascinating figure in history. I very much admire TR's ability to plow ahead with what he felt was right no matter what. His ability to convince others to take his side on issues was amazing. His personality is one I feel we need back in politics today. While he was not a perfect human being by any stretch, I feel that he certainly performed with the moral high ground as President.

I am excited to read the third and final book about TR in this series. He has easily become one of my favorite historical people, and I would recommend this book to any lover of history or anyone who wants to read a really great narrative. ( )
  msaucier818 | Apr 9, 2018 |
Biography of Theodore Roosevelt ( )
  JackSweeney | Jan 9, 2017 |
Edmund Morris's Theodore Rex begins with William McKinley's assassination and Roosevelt's ascendancy to the presidency and continues through the end of T.R.'s second term with Taft's inauguration. Written in a prose style full of direct quotations, Morris's writing flows like a narrative. Morris's non-judgemental portrayal of personalities, which does not discriminate between his subjects' greater and lesser personality traits, coupled with the political intrigue of the era, makes for a fantastic true story.
Having not yet read either of Morris's other Theodore Roosevelt biographies, I cannot judge how this volume fits into the series, but it is more than capable of standing on its own. Morris's research is exhaustive, with 169 pages of notes following his narrative for those interested in following his research. Though a later biography of Roosevelt's presidency may appear, this will remain a monumental work and a go-to volume for historians of T.R.'s time in the highest elected office in the United States. ( )
  DarthDeverell | Jun 15, 2016 |
Like the first book in Morris's series, this volume is massive. It may be a long and slow read, but it's absolutely fascinating--an intimate portrait of a complex yet brilliant man. This covers his terms as president, beginning with McKinley's assassination and ending with Taft ascending to office. Roosevelt made many grand strides in conservation, diplomacy, and establishing America's Navy, but nothing is ever in black or white. I had no idea of the drama that went into the Panama Canal, complete with an American-sponsored rebellion to create Panama. Roosevelt's views on race seem backward to our modern thinking, but he was a man of his time and did treat minorities with more fairness than others... and suffered politically for it. He was the first president to invite a black man, Booker T. Washington, to dinner at the White House, and it caused an outrage. He greatly admired the Japanese as a growing military power and saw them as a potential threat to American interests in the Philippines and Hawaii, and so he sent out a Great White Fleet to show off American naval power. He also contributed to a horrible injustice in Brownsville, Texas, when black troops were accused of a riot based on very false evidence and sheer racial stereotype.

Morris's portrayal is fair. He shows the brilliance and the belligerence of Roosevelt. As an author doing research, I found the book to be fantastic. I took many, many notes. ( )
  ladycato | Dec 6, 2015 |
The first book in this series was fantastic, one of my all-time favorites. This book dragged. This book covers Theodore's entire first and second presidencies. The legislative issues, although illustrative of TR, are not covered in a fascinating way for me. The legislation and implementation ensuring the Panama canal was audacious and forceful in a way that possibly only TR could have ensured its completion at that time period. This book mentions occasionally his interactions with the press and how he basically manipulated them into positive coverage of his presidency. There are many entertaining parts of the book and it is good to have an idea of how TR governed as President but the story was just not as intriguing as his pre presidential life. ( )
  JaredChristopherson | Nov 16, 2015 |
To my Mother and Father
THE0D0RE ROOSEVELT became President of the United States without knowing it, at 2:15 in the morning of 14 September 1901.
'It is necessary patiently to wait,' Bunau-Varilla replied, 'until the spring of the imagination of the wicked is dried up, and until truth dissipates the mist of mendacity.'

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0812966007, Paperback)

In this lively biography, Edmund Morris returns to the gifted, energetic, and thoroughly controversial man whom the novelist Henry James called "King Theodore." In his two terms as president of the United States, Roosevelt forged an American empire, and he behaved as if it was his destiny. In this sequel to his Pulitzer Prize-winning biography The Rise of Theodore Roosevelt, Morris charts Roosevelt's accomplishments: the acquisition of the Panama Canal and the Philippines, the creation of national parks and monuments, and more. "Collaring Capital and Labor in either hand," Morris writes, Roosevelt made few friends, but he usually got what he wanted--and earned an enduring place in history.

Morris combines a fine command of the era's big issues with an appreciation for the daily minutiae involved in governing a nation. Less controversially inventive, but no less readable, than the Ronald Reagan biography Dutch, Theodore Rex gives readers new reason both to admire and fault an American phenomenon. --Gregory McNamee

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:12 -0400)

Theodore Rex is the story'never fully told before'of Theodore Roosevelt's two world-changing terms as President of the United States. A hundred years before the catastrophe of September 11, 2001, "TR" succeeded to power in the aftermath of an act of terrorism. Youngest of all our chief executives, he rallied a stricken nation with his superhuman energy, charm, and political skills. He proceeded to combat the problems of race and labor relations and trust control while making the Panama Canal possible and winning the Nobel Peace Prize. But his most historic achievement remains his creation of a national conservation policy, and his monument millions of acres of protected parks and forest. Theodore Rex ends with TR leaving office, still only fifty years old, his future reputation secure as one of our greatest presidents. From the Trade Paperback edition.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,471,415 books! | Top bar: Always visible