The Silent World of Nicholas Quinn by Colin…

The Silent World of Nicholas Quinn (1977)

by Colin Dexter

Series: Morse (3)

612None15,915 (3.68)23
Recently added bypinax, bog-frb, Dnaej, markatread, windcuttree, private library, Bjace, DuffDaddy

English (12)  Dutch (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (14)
I know a lot of people read mysteries to see if they can figure out whodunnit. I never have; I read them if I enjoy the writing and the characters, and the mystery kind of just happens. Given that, the thing I particularly enjoy about Morse books, and this one in particular, is basically feeling like I'm in the same boat as Lewis. ( )
  jen.e.moore | Feb 26, 2014 |
Enjoyable and well-written mystery/detective novel. ( )
  sbsolter | Feb 6, 2014 |
This was the worst Inspector Morse yet. He wasn't quite as randy, true, but again the book was filled with pages of Morse smiling slightly to himself without filling in the reader or his junior partner, Sargent Lewis. B O R I N G. Oh, I should not overlook his 3 allusions to Plato's cave! Bah. ( )
  kaulsu | Sep 4, 2013 |
The Silent World of Nicholas Quinn is the third novel in the Inspector Morse series by author Colin Dexter. Deaf Nicholas Quinn is hired as an administrator to the Foreign Examinations Board of the University in Oxford. While there he discovers corruption which ends up getting him murdered. When Inspector Morse becomes involved in the case he uncovers a number of potential suspects all of whom are he soon understands are lying to him about where they where at the time of the murder, all of whom had secrets they don't want Morse to uncover and all of whom had potential reason to silence Nicholas Quinn.

This book sees the return of Morse from the first novel, a more ruthless and abrupt Morse who has little sympathy for othersRead the full review here ( )
  thecrimescene | Aug 27, 2013 |
In this 3rd book of the Inspector Morse series, for the first time Morse reminds me of the PBS character played by John Thaw. He is less fumbling, although still capable of being wrong, and relies on his intuition less.

Certain aspects of the murder seemed obvious, yet Dexter kept me guessing until the end. I was satisfied that Roope and Bartlett had done it so the last twist really took me by surprise!! ( )
  leslie.98 | Aug 23, 2013 |
for Jack Ashley
"Well?"

Chief Inspector Morse is called in to investigate the murder of an Oxford academic, and finds the dons in uproar. The code of integrity had been breached and Quinn's death was not a matter of how and why but when.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:45:35 -0400)

Murdered in his North Oxford home, newly appointed member of the Oxford Examinations Syndicate, Nicholas Quinn was deaf, provincial and gifted. As Morse investigates the death he is drawn into a labyrinth world of the Oxford colleges. Originally published: London: Macmillan, 1977.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,475,144 books! | Top bar: Always visible