The Silent World of Nicholas Quinn by Colin…

The Silent World of Nicholas Quinn (1977)

by Colin Dexter

Series: Morse (3)

English (17)  Danish (2)  Italian (2)  Dutch (1)  All (22)
This Inspector Morse installment was a vast improvement over the previous one, and I suspect the novels will continue to get better in both plot and characterization. Morse is still trying to ply his assistant Lewis with beer and sherry and excursions to a few blue movies, but it's not without its critique, as Lewis notes that Morse can be needlessly crude at times. It is 1977 Oxford after all, where sexism is both a town and gown preoccupation. ( )
  Virginia-A | Dec 21, 2016 |
The Silent World of Nicholas Quinn by Colin Dexter is part of the Inspector Morse books, a series that I hadn’t read in some time. This particular book was originally published in 1977 and it’s style is reminds one of detective stories written in the 1940s and 50s. The reader is not privy to the inner workings of Inspector Morse’s mind, we are rather his audience that he plays to, announcing the murderer and his methods at the end of the book. We also learn very little of his private life away from the actual job of detecting.

Set in the university town of Oxford, this case deals with the Foreign Examination Board and the murder of one it’s appointees. Somehow, Morse decides that the murderer must be one of the small group of people who work there, and so most of the book is about this small academic organization. Along the way there is a secondary murder, and the book is rife with red herrings and a few twists to keep the reader guessing.

Personally, I am not sure whether I will continue with this series, I didn’t find Morse particularly likeable or sympathetic. The story was very well written, but some of the very characteristics that I enjoy in the Inspector Frost books by R.D. Wingfield, I found intolerable here. I missed the tongue-in-cheek humor which helps to offset the rudeness and arrogance. ( )
  DeltaQueen50 | Jan 10, 2016 |
My favorite of the three Morse books. On the whole, I really like the series. Morse comes across as a real person, making mistakes in deductions, jumping to conclusions, and so forth. The plots are pretty convoluted, but these are not the kind of mystery novels where the reader tries to figure it out before Morse. These are about how Morse goes about it, and about the characters involved.

I will definitely read more of the Inspector in the future. ( )
  Hanneri | Dec 8, 2014 |
The plot is overly complex.
  danhammang | Nov 7, 2014 |
Early and not as finely crafted as later Morses but still a highly enjoyable read. The younger Morse is more coarse and less of the enigmatically attractive to women but more of the chaser. Here, I also felt like the murder was never really well solved, and the epilouge didn't make me sure of it.
  amyem58 | Jul 15, 2014 |
for Jack Ashley
"Well?"

Chief Inspector Morse is called in to investigate the murder of an Oxford academic, and finds the dons in uproar. The code of integrity had been breached and Quinn's death was not a matter of how and why but when.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:14 -0400)

Murdered in his North Oxford home, newly appointed member of the Oxford Examinations Syndicate, Nicholas Quinn was deaf, provincial and gifted. As Morse investigates the death he is drawn into a labyrinth world of the Oxford colleges. Originally published: London: Macmillan, 1977.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,165,717 books! | Top bar: Always visible