The Cricket on the Hearth (1845)

by Charles Dickens

Series: The Christmas Books of Charles Dickens (3)

Classic Literature. Fiction. HTML:

Tired of the materialistic cynicism and cheerless hustle and bustle that seem to taint the holiday season these days? Hearken back to a simpler time and celebrate the true virtues of the season with this classic tale from Charles Dickens, master of the heartwarming Christmas parable.

.… (more)

English (39)  Italian (2)  Spanish (1)  All languages (42)
In an effort to prolong our quickly receding winter, I took to this short tale, replete with Dickens' usual odd names and odder characters. The man does know his way around the English language ( )
  jemisonreads | Jan 22, 2024 |
Winter 2020 (December);

Part of the round of this years' new seasonable classics.

I've been meaning to get to this one for ages and ages, because it was considered the favorite Christmas tale of Dicken's during his life (versus how the world currently best leans to his [b:A Christmas Carol|5326|A Christmas Carol|Charles Dickens|https://i.gr-assets.com/images/S/compressed.photo.goodreads.com/books/1406512317l/5326._SY75_.jpg|3097440]). Sadly, this one fell a bit flat for me, and while I did manage to get a little more invested in the last third of the book, there was no point as which I was really enthralled.

(Also, the sudden about-face toward the end by a certain character made no sense. It was very Scrooge's turn, but with absolutely no impetus to make them change and ever reason, only hours earlier that day, for that person to be filled with even more anger, spite, and hum-bug.) ( )
  wanderlustlover | Dec 27, 2022 |
Parts of this are a very sweet story. Parts of this are boring. If you are a fan of Dickens and his writing style you will probably enjoy it a lot more, though at least it's short and easy to read. ( )
  ca.bookwyrm | Dec 16, 2022 |
I love Charles Dickens all year round, but I really adore reading him at Christmas time. I had never read this novella before, and it lived up to my expectations of what a Dickens tale should be. It is billed as a Christmas story, but I don't see it as that at all. It is a story of home and love and the value of those over money.

I might not ever listen to the chirp of a cricket quite the same.

Happy New Year to everyone here at Goodreads and around the world. I wish you all a happy home, filled with love, kindness and peace. ( )
  mattorsara | Aug 11, 2022 |
Wonderful story with the characters Dickens could create and no one can better. I love Bertha, Caleb Plummer's blind daughter that lives in a wonderful world of fantasy that her father creates for her, unable to see the truth. ( )
  BionicJim | May 8, 2022 |

Tarnowska, KrystynaTł.secondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Thomson, HughIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ward, AdrianneIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wiley, Katherine KroeberIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Lord Jeffrey this little story is inscribed with the affection and attachment of his friend the author.
"The kettle began it!
"To find a cricket on the hearth is the luckiest thing of all."
This edition contains The Cricket on the Hearth only. Please do not combine with editions which contain The Cricket on the Hearth and other Christmas stories by Dickens.

Classic Literature. Fiction. HTML:

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 201,644,307 books! | Top bar: Always visible