Nobody's Perfect: Writings from The New Yorker

by Anthony Lane

A collection of essays and articles by the New Yorker critic features some of his most memorable pieces on film, literature, and contemporary culture.

For the longest time, this was my go-to book if I just had a little time to read. It is mostly (and most enjoyably) movie reviews, with an addition of some other essays. I found them witty and insightful and they often made me go back and re-watch a movie or discover a new one. ( )
  gbelik | Dec 1, 2018 |
Anthony Lane's criticism encompasses film, literature, and photography; his essays are the perfect combination of erudition and wit, and represent precisely what you might expect from an Englishman at the New Yorker. ( )
  soylentgreen23 | Aug 16, 2017 |
Excellent and witty anthology by the longtime New Yorker critic. Many of the film reviews had me snorting and snickering helplessly, as Lane is devastatingly funny about the movies he hates, and the profiles and other essays are thoughtful and thought-provoking even though I disagreed with some of his assessments. Being Jewish, female and gay, I have a much harder time making allowances for people who may have been wonderful writers but were also virulently anti-Semitic, misogynistic, etc. Aside from that, though, this collection is well worth the read; maybe nobody's perfect, but Lane comes pretty darn close. ( )
2 vote simchaboston | Aug 24, 2015 |
If you have never read a Lane review before, then you are in for a treat. If you have, well, lucky you: they sure survive re-reading. I would rather dine on woodlice than see Pearl Harbor again, but I have ingested Lane's verdict on it no less than three times, and his opening paragraph always results in hot tea shooting uncomfortably, deliriously, down my nose [...]
added by Nevov | editThe Observer, Rachel Cooke (Nov 24, 2002)

Indecent Proposal stars Woody Harrelson and Demi Moore as David and Diana Murphy, a young married couple living in California.

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 204,488,594 books! | Top bar: Always visible