The bite of the mango by Mariatu Kamara

The bite of the mango (2008)

by Mariatu Kamara, Susan McClelland

English (26)  Dutch (1)  All languages (27)
The author is 12 when rebel children soldiers attack her in her village in Sierra Leone. They also amputate both hands. Amazingly she survives and makes her way with help to a clinic. Her journey with recovery and her life is amazing and inspiring. I don't want to say too much about her life, but she does end up in Canada. I learned a lot about this small country, like it is the poorest in the world with a life expectancy of 40! I also learned about a community of refugees living in the Toronto area who help those who make it here. Very good and well written memoir. ( )
  LivelyLady | May 15, 2018 |
This memoir of Mariatu will draw you in. It is about Mariatu's life in Sierra Leone (an African country) and subsequent move to Canada. Mariatu lived though a civil war in her native country, but while she and many others have lived to tell their story they also lost their hands. It is a book about survival and overcoming a disability.

Heather H. / Marathon County Public Library
Find this book in our library catalog.

mcpl.wausau | Sep 25, 2017 |
RGG: Memoir about a young girl's survival of the violence of the civil war in Sierra Leone. Explicit descriptions of the violence and hardships of Mariatu's life.
  rgruberhighschool | May 17, 2015 |
The Bite of the Mango by Mariatu Kamara is a memoir based on her experiences in the civil war that raged through Sierra Leone from 1991 to 2002. Mariatu and her family lived a life of relative peace and happiness in a small rural village. They knew of the rebels but thought they would be safe if they ran and hid in the forest if they came. Unfortunately, twelve year old Mariatu and three of her cousins were captured, tortured and mutilated.

Mariatu was able to stumble away and through her own will and the help of kindly strangers she was taken to the capital, Freetown and received medical assistance. Eventually most of her family was reunited and placed in a refugee camp. Food and medicine was so scarce that the camp children had to take to the streets to beg for additional funds. The way out for these children was to be matched with a sponsor who would send funds or bring them out of Sierra Leone.

The Bite of the Mango relates Mariatu’s story of survival in a simple, straight forward style that asks for no pity but gives the reader a glimpse of the emotional strength of this young girl as well as her courage and resilience. This is a heart-rendering story but as it is aimed at a YA audience I felt it left me feeling like I needed a little more depth and information. ( )
  DeltaQueen50 | Mar 22, 2015 |
I apparently have a soft spot for Sierra Leone. I loved Ishmael's book, A long way gone, and I really liked this book also. Both are such brave people for sharing THEIR personal stories! ( )
  patsaintsfan | May 23, 2014 |

Mariatu Kamaraprimary authorall editionscalculated
McClelland, Susanmain authorall editionsconfirmed

When Mariatu set out for a neighborhood village in Sierra Leone, she was kidnapped and tortured, and both of her hands cut off. She turned to begging to survive. This heart-rending memoir is a testament to her courage and resilience. Today she is a UNICEF Special Representative for Children and Armed Conflict.… (more)

Annick Press

2 editions of this book were published by Annick Press.

Editions: 1554511585, 1554511593

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,943,944 books! | Top bar: Always visible