The Brain: Our Nervous System by Seymour…

The Brain: Our Nervous System

by Seymour Simon

Series: Human Body

I read this for our Informational Book Assignment. ( )
  mpielak | Mar 11, 2016 |
5-6th grade
Photographic Essay
Simon’s book gives a complete report on the brain and all its functions. Pictures and diagrams of the brain support the text well, which can be very technical at times. The book is full of brain related facts, which could be laborious reading for some children. However, children who enjoy anatomy may love this book, as it presents the brain in a more scientific, fluff-less style than the majority of children’s books. In my opinion, the book should be longer and better organized with a table of contents and an index. It has a lot of useful information, but it would be painstaking to try and use as a source of reference.
I would not use the book for any English class, but would recommend to any kid who is a fan of science. I fear it would lose the interest of most children very quickly. ( )
  nmillsio | Jan 28, 2013 |
  BRCSBooks | Jan 29, 2012 |
Horn Book Guide 4/1/2007

Simon explains each major component of the body's electrical system. Carefully plotted explanations cover each region of the brain and the spinal cord, and electronic scans magnify minute cells of the brain and nervous system. The variety of photographic views and the lucid presentation provide an absorbing introduction to this amazing system that "can do more jobs than the most powerful computer ever made.
  AConiff | Jul 20, 2011 |
This book shows many aspects of the brain. It starts off explaining about the millions of signals passing through your brain all the time. It talks about the bones and receptors in your skull and brain. I rated it 5 out of 5 because the pictures in this book are phenomenal and the information was accurate and very interesting to know. This book would be best for kids in fourth grade through sixth grade. ( )
  willja05 | Oct 12, 2010 |
To Robert, Nicole, Joel, and Benjamin Simon

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0060877197, Paperback)

Did you know that your brain (yes, even yours) is roughly the size of a large grapefruit? Award-winning author Seymour Simon clearly and skillfully exposes the many wonders of the brain and nervous system in The Brain: Our Nervous System. Author of more than 150 children's books about science, including The Heart: Our Circulatory System, Muscles: Our Muscular System, and Bones: Our Skeletal System, Simon has a knack for piquing the curiosity of youngsters and clearly communicating scientific facts. The Brain, written for ages 8 and older, is a solid launching pad for further investigation of the organ that makes us who we are. Kids will love learning that our brains grow until we are 7 years old, that our spines have 33 vertebrae, and that our skulls are made of 28 bones. Large, full-color photographs and illustrations show the fascinating, if slightly nauseating, areas of the human brain--a positron computed tomography (PCT) photo, for example, shows the dramatically different levels of visual stimulation to the brain when your eyes are open or closed. Two to three paragraphs of large type per page, plus one full-bleed illustration per spread, help make The Brain just the right amount of information for one grapefruit-sized brain to take in. (Ages 8 and older) --Karin Snelson

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:03:19 -0400)

Describes the various parts of the brain and the nervous system and how they function to enable us to think, feel, move, and remember.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,642,667 books! | Top bar: Always visible