dismiss

Prozac Nation (1994)

by Elizabeth Wurtzel

"Sparkling, luminescent prose. A powerful portrait of one girl's journey through the purgatory of depression and back." --New York Times "Abook that became a cultural touchstone."--New Yorker Elizabeth Wurtzel writes with her finger on the faint pulse of an overdiagnosed generation whose ruling icons are Kurt Cobain, Xanax, and pierced tongues. Her famous memoir of her bouts with depression and skirmishes with drugs, Prozac Nation is a witty and sharp account of the psychopharmacology of an era for readers of Girl, Interrupted and Sylvia Plath's The Bell Jar"--… (more)

I think the only reason I like this book is because I read it during a particular period in my life-- that is, when I was deep in the throes of depression, needing an understanding companion, though ultimately the book only really served to satisfy my own self-pitying. ( )
  serru | Oct 6, 2022 |
As a person with depression, reading Prozac Nation was like being forced to take a guided tour of my younger years. Elizabeth Wurtzel holds no punches in describing her agonizing battle with her mental illness. However, her insightful, well educated mind is the second commentator in the book, constantly analyzing, pushing for answers and screaming rhetorical questions that have gone unanswered for millennia. The ensuing dialogue speeds to the end, revealing much about the title of the book. ( )
  Windyone1 | May 10, 2022 |
Outwardly, young adult Elizabeth Wurtzel has all the advantages: she attends upscale private schools and later Harvard, she has devoted family on her mother's side, she is pretty, slender, and a talented writer. So why does she always feel like a big black cloud is chasing her? Wurtzel suffers from a years-long, badly-managed case of clinical depression, and the many therapists she seeks out attribute her problems to her parents' acrimonious divorce rather than her biochemical makeup. Finally she gets on the title medication and feels better, but how can she now adjust to living (relatively) depression-free? This all took place back in the late 1980s, when Prozac and other SSRIs were looked at with great suspicion; did these drugs make people "better than well"? Now, as Wurtzel writes in her epilogue and afterword, they're just another part of our cultural landscape.

Prozac Nation is a well-written book that nonetheless goes on too long for its own good. I'm glad I read it, but I also am glad that I'm done with it. ( )
  akblanchard | Oct 7, 2020 |
When a book takes me nearly a year to finish, it's definitely a sign that I'm having some issues with the narrative. One LibraryThing reviewer began a critique by declaring, "You need to take Prozac to read this book!" I can relate. I wish Wurtzel's Afterword had been the Preface/Foreword, because some of her reflections would have been helpful as I trudged through the book. For example, she notes that some readers have talked about how "Prozac Nation" could be a frustrating read. But she quickly notes that this how many depressives feel in their everyday lives. In her parting words, she describes her book as a "memoir with no particular thesis or point," adding that she wanted the book "to dare to be completely self-indulgent, unhesitant and forthright in its telling of what clinical depression feels like." These admissions and observations — shared at the very start — would have helped me to navigate this worthy but somewhat exhausting book. Having said that, I found many aspects of "Prozac Nation" fascinating and instructive. My late mom suffered from severe depression her entire life. Unfortunately, it went undiagnosed — or atleast untreated — until she was in her early 40s. Had I been Wurtzel's editor, I would have trimmed down the narrative a bit, eliminating some redundancies and unneccessary details. But as it turns out, this is one of the author's goals — to vividly illustrate some of the utterly frustrating aspects of this crippling disease. ( )
  brianinbuffalo | Aug 5, 2019 |
Reading this book, I kept thinking that her symptoms seemed to reflect bipolar disorder, perhaps complicated by BPD, rather than a depressive disorder. The chaos, the neediness, the need for others to prove their love, and, most telling, others' responses to her behavior spoke to me as BPD...which would allow explain other readers' irritation/revulsion. ( )
  carlahaunted | Jan 8, 2019 |
The book became a cultural reference point and part of a new wave of confessional writing.

By the end of "Prozac Nation," one is less apt to remember Ms. Wurtzel's self-important whining than her forthrightness, her humor and her ability to write sparkling, luminescent prose.

Elizabeth Wurtzelprimary authorall editionscalculated
Guip, AmyPhotographersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Very early in my life it was too late.
I start to get the feeling that something is really wrong.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 179,989,603 books! | Top bar: Always visible