Meet Josefina: An American Girl (1997)

by Valerie Tripp

Other authors: Susan McAliley (Illustrator), Jean-Paul Tibbles (Illustrator)

Series: American Girls: Josefina (1), American Girls (Josefina 1)

2,32096,730 (3.73)4
Nine-year-old Josefina, the youngest of four sisters living in New Mexico in 1824, tries to help run the household after her mother dies.

AR: 4.1
  ASSG.Library | Mar 15, 2024 |
While this was somewhat refreshing after the Felicity books, I feel like there is already a presage of the same important topics being neglected, such as what exactly is the status of these workers ("workers"? I really don't know) on the family's rancho. Why is it that Josefina's family has a rancho and others work on it instead of having their own? While I appreciate the diverse background and a historical story that isn't told so often, I hope this series will be more than just another rich American Girl.

The story itself was a bit boring, but it had a lot of work to do in only ~60 pages. It basically introduces us to Josefina's family, including her multitude of sisters, and their way of life on a rancho outside of Sante Fe when it was still part of Mexico. Their mother died shortly before the book starts, so I feel this has potential to tackle more serious subjects than the Felicity books did.

What's really sad and enlightening for me is that, as a woman in my 30s now rereading these, I am checking out the dads in the illustrations. God help me when I start checking out the grandpas. ( )
  bannedforaday | Oct 22, 2023 |
Age: 8+ years old
  Jamie202020 | Dec 6, 2022 |
The story of a girl living in 1824.
  BLTSbraille | Sep 18, 2021 |
9-year-old Josephina tries to run the household after her mother dies. Spanish language.
  BLTSbraille | Sep 3, 2021 |

Valerie Trippprimary authorall editionscalculated
McAliley, SusanIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Tibbles, Jean-PaulIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
To my husband, Michael and my daughter, Katherine with love
Josephina Montoya hummed to herself as she stood in the sunshine waiting for her sisters.

This is the first book in the "Josefina" series of the American Girls Collection. It introduces Josefina Montoya, a nine-year-old girl who lives on a rancho in 1824 New Mexico with her widowed father and three older sisters.

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 206,087,101 books! | Top bar: Always visible