All God's Children Need Traveling Shoes by…

All God's Children Need Traveling Shoes (1986)

by Maya Angelou

Series: Maya Angelou's Autobiographies (5)

What an honest account of her travels back to Africa and her struggles to make her way in her new homeland. She is honest in her recounting of learning the new languages, customs, and rules, both among the Ghanaian people and the ex-pats who were many of her first contacts there. The accident that changes her and her son's life is described in intense detail as taking both a physical and emotional toll on them. And it took me a while to realize she was talking about Malcolm X coming to Ghana but what an incredible event in her stay there. Ms. Angelou rubs shoulders with leaders of all layers of society, including royalty, and her incorporating these events in her life are honest. And her poetry of language is, as always, fantastic. ( )
  threadnsong | Dec 29, 2018 |
I found the book very interesting and found it difficult to put it down. ( )
  JerseyGirl21 | Jan 24, 2016 |
All God's Children Need Traveling Shoes is the fifth in a series of seven autobiographies by Maya Angelou. I have yet to read the last two, but this volume is the least compelling thus far. Angelou's storytelling seemed relatively flat. Not only that, there seemed to be an undercurrent of anger and dissatisfaction throughout. Covering her time as a Black-American living in Ghana, along with others who had hoped to escape negative American attitudes towards blacks, Angelou becomes disillusioned upon finding that native Ghanaians did not necessarily welcome these Americans with open arms. Not only that, Angelou was also dealing with an empty nest for the first time -- her son was off to college.

I certainly would not expect anyone to be Pollyannaish, especially Angelou, but reading this volume was tiring in a way that you have an unhappy friend whom you feel powerless to help.

"For me sleep was difficult that night. My bed was lumpy with anger and my pillow a rock of intemperate umbrage (p. 142)".

Although this volume was a bit of a letdown in comparison with the earlier ones, I still look forward to reading the next two autobiogrpahies in the series. ( )
  ValerieAndBooks | Nov 28, 2015 |
Angelou remembers (re)meeting Malcolm X during his visit to Ghana. Before he left, he said to her, "When you hear that the Urban League or the NAACP is giving a formal banquet at the Waldorf-Astoria, I know you won't go, but don't knock them. They give scholarships to poor Black children. One of those recipients might become a Julian Mayfield, or a Maya Angelou, or a Malcolm X."

VikkiLaw | Apr 4, 2013 |
Read for English SuperBowl one year in high school. ( )
  BethKalb | Jan 3, 2011 |

Maya Angelouprimary authorall editionscalculated
Rutten, KathleenTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Swing Low, Sweet Chariot, Coming for to carry me home.
This book is dedicated to Julian and Malcolm and all the fallen ones who were passionately and earnestly looking for a home.
The breezes of the West African night were intimate and shy, licking the hair, sweeping through cotton dresses with unseemly intimacy, then disappearing into the utter blackness.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 067973404X, Paperback)

"Thoroughly enjoyable . . . an important document drawing more much-needed attention to the hidden history of a people both African and American."--Los Angeles Times Book Review.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:58:29 -0400)

"Thoroughly enjoyable ... an important document drawing more much-needed attention to the hidden history of a people both African and American."

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,427,968 books! | Top bar: Always visible