A Sound Like Someone Trying Not to Make a Sound

by John Irving

When Tom is awakened by the sound of a "monster," he tells his father what he thinks he heard.

I have been interested in this forever because of the book A Widow for One Year. I finally found a library that carried the book. The MC in A Widow for One Year is a children's book writer. This is one of his stories.

I liked it for what it is. A nod to the novel but as a children's book.... I don't think it would be a re-read if I read it to my children when they were young. ( )
  Seayla2020 | Aug 23, 2021 |
In this book, Tome is awaken in the middle of the night by a sound that he believes to be of a monster with no arms and no legs trying to move. His younger brother is still sleeping so Tom goes and wakes up his dad. After describing the many different ways the monster sounds, Tom's dad explains to him that it is merely the sound of a mouse caught between the walls.
I thought this book was just ok. I think children would like it because at young ages the idea of monsters is sort of real and they all have imaginations that turn sounds in the night into them. ( )
  KellyLPickett | Feb 11, 2013 |
Tom werd wakker, Timmy niet.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 166,134,196 books! | Top bar: Always visible