Cat Vs. Cat: Keeping Peace When You Have…

Cat Vs. Cat: Keeping Peace When You Have More Than One Cat

by Pam Johnson-Bennett

Yeah, yeah, you think you have a handle on this stuff until you get that one last cat who throws your whole house into chaos. Ask me how I know this. Still, some fascinating stuff on cat body language at the beginning, and mostly good advice on introducing new cats to the household. Until you get that one superfreak cat, and then all bets are off. Harriet, I'm looking at you. ( )
1 vote lisapeet | Oct 11, 2013 |
This is a great companion to Ms. Johnson-Bennett's Think Like a Cat. Cat vs. Cat adds to the cat owner's understanding of cat behavior by explaining how cats relate to each other. This helps tremendously when you have more than one cat living in your home.

My husband and I have five cats who get along quite well. Cat vs. Cat has helped us understand our cats' hierarchy and their schedule, and allows us to respect and appreciate them.

One thing I love about Ms. Johnson-Bennett's books is that she expects cat owners to dedicate some time to their pets each day. It's why we have pets in the first place - for companionship - and she makes a great case for the good it does the human and the cat.

I highly recommend Think Like a Cat for anyone who has a cat, and if you have more than one cat, this book is a great next step. The writing is clear and entertaining, the examples are easy to relate to, and the advice is terrific. ( )
  periwinklejane | Mar 29, 2013 |
An absolute must-read for any cat owner! I've had cats all my life but this book has taught me how to truly understand them. This book covers many helpful tips, from reading your cats body language to offering solutions to any problems that may arise in your home. Not just solutions, but insight into why your cat behaves the way they do. ( )
  Chirpchirpsquawk | Jan 2, 2013 |
This cat behavior book focuses on the special problems that can arise when you have a multi cat household. Cats adapt to living together despite not being pack animals, but they do have a hierarchical social structure that is invisible to many humans. Awareness of this structure, and the various cats’ places in the structure, helps immensely in keeping things peaceful. While knowing general cat behavior modification techniques is necessary when you have multiple cats, knowing the signs of dominance and stress, and how to recognize the cats’ territories within your house, is not something addressed in most cat behavior books. This book emphasizes making sure that each cat is secure in their territory, whether they are the top cat or the bottom, and how to keep common areas peaceful. I’m looking at our house differently now! ( )
  lauriebrown54 | Oct 23, 2012 |
Even though the feline population at my home is a happy one, I still found "Cat vs. cat" to be usefull. As I said, our furry friends at home are well adapted to each other, and seem to be overall happy; but it's good to know what kind of situations could break this state of bliss, and how to be proactive on solving or preventing problems.
I also found some really cool Christmas presents for the kitties! ( )
  olgalijo | Dec 24, 2011 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0142004758, Paperback)

In this companion to her successful introduction to cat behavior Think Like a Cat, Pam Johnson-Bennett, the award-winning author and feline behaviorist, shows how adding another cat to your home does not have to be the start of a kitty apocalypse. Although cats are often misunderstood as natural loners, Johnson-Bennett shows how to plan, set up, and maintain a home environment that will help multiple cats—and their owners—live in peace. Cat vs. Cat will help readers understand the importance of territory, the specialized communication cats use to establish relationships and hierarchies, and how to interpret the so-called “bad behavior” that leads so many owners to needless frustration. Offering a wealth of information on how to diffuse tension, prevent squabbles and ambushes, blend two families, or help the elder kitty in your family, Cat vs. Cat is a welcome resource for both seasoned and prospective guardians of cat families large and small.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:46 -0400)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,411,901 books! | Top bar: Always visible