Faith of My Fathers by John McCain

Faith of My Fathers

by John McCain

Other authors: Mark Salter

What a surprise this was! I am not a fan of John McCain, however, this was a fantastic family memoir. So many things that I was able to relate too; my father and uncles served in the military during WWII and my husband served in Vietnam. This is not a political book and I recommend it. ( )
  PamV | Mar 27, 2018 |
I wanted to read this book after visiting Hanoi, Vietnam. Very interesting...I also enjoyed reading about his family's history in the navy. ( )
  bookweaver | May 11, 2013 |
A very nice tribute by Sen. McCain to his father and grandfather. Pretty well-written, and you can tell it comes from the heart. A good read for those devotees of the Senator. ( )
  rsplenda477 | Mar 27, 2013 |
I put off reading this book for years, fearing it would be awful. I was pleasantly surprised that it was well written and not nearly as self-aggrandizing as I expected from a book written by a senator. Senator McCain's father and grand-father were very interesting subjects, especially as I was totally ignornant of them and their part in history. Senator McCain's coverage of his POW years was helped by the inclusion of the suffering of other POWs, and it made me appreciate all the more the terrible price each of them paid for falling into the hands of the enemy. ( )
  whymaggiemay | Nov 11, 2011 |
A great way to get to know an almost President of the US. I found this memoir touching and inspiring. ( )
  stevetempo | Nov 10, 2008 |

John McCainprimary authorall editionscalculated
Salter, Marksecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0375501916, Hardcover)

Books by politicians are not often worth reading, but John McCain's Faith of My Fathers is an astonishing exception to the rule. The Republican senator from Arizona has a remarkable story to tell--better than just about any of his peers--and he tells it well, with crisp prose and an unexpected sense for narrative pacing. The first half of the book concerns his naval forbears: his grandfather commanded an aircraft carrier in the Second World War, while his father presided over all naval forces in the Pacific during the Vietnam War. They were the first father-son admirals in American history. Young John McCain knew he had enormous shoes to fill and rebelled against many of the expectations set for him. At the Naval Academy, he was nearly expelled, graduating fifth from the bottom of his class. He never became an admiral, but achieved fame another way: as a naval aviator in 1967, he was shot down over North Vietnam and spent several years in POW camps, where he was beaten, tortured, and nearly allowed to die. McCain describes the awful details of his imprisonment and tells how he stayed mentally strong during seemingly endless months of solitary confinement and how he communicated in code with fellow captives. Faith of My Fathers concludes with McCain's release and contains no information about his subsequent political career. It is, nonetheless, a complete and compelling memoir of individual heroism--one that will interest both political and military history buffs. --John J. Miller

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:21 -0400)

John McCain is one of the most admired leaders in the United States government, but his deeply felt memoir of family and war is not a political one and ends before his election to Congress. With candor and ennobling power, McCain tells a story that, in the words of Newsweek, "makes the other presidential candidates look like pygmies." John McCain learned about life and honor from his grandfather and father, both four-star admirals in the U.S. Navy. This is a memoir about their lives, their heroism, and the ways that sons are shaped and enriched by their fathers. John McCain's grandfather was a gaunt, hawk-faced man known as Slew by his fellow officers and affectionately, as Popeye by the sailors who served under him. McCain Sr. played the horses, drank bourbon and water, and rolled his own cigarettes with one hand. More significant, he was one of the navy's greatest commanders, and led the strongest aircraft carrier force of the Third Fleet in key battles during World War II. John McCain's father followed a similar path, equally distinguished by heroic service in the navy, as a submarine commander during World War II. McCain Jr. was a slightly built man, but like his father, he earned the respect and affection of his men. He, too, rose to the rank of four-star admiral, making the McCains the first family in American history to achieve that distinction. McCain Jr.'s final assignment was as commander of all U.S. forces in the Pacific during the Vietnam War. It was in the Vietnam War that John McCain III faced the most difficult challenge of his life. A naval aviator, he was shot down over Hanoi in 1967 and seriously injured. When Vietnamese military officers realized he was the son of a top commander, they offered McCain early release in an effort to embarrass the United States. Acting from a sense of honor taught him by his father and the U.S. Naval Academy, McCain refused the offer. He was tortured, held in solitary confinement, and imprisoned for five and a half years. Faith of My Fathers is about what McCain learned from his grandfather and father, and how their example enabled him to survive those hard years. It is a story of three imperfect men who faced adversity and emerged with their honor intact. Ultimately, Faith of My Fathers shows us, with great feeling and appreciation, what fathers give to their sons, and what endures.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,505,570 books! | Top bar: Always visible