How to Solve It: A New Aspect of…

How to Solve It: A New Aspect of Mathematical Method (1945)

by George Pólya

A perennial bestseller by eminent mathematician G. Polya, How to Solve It will show anyone in any field how to think straight. In lucid and appealing prose, Polya reveals how the mathematical method of demonstrating a proof or finding an unknown can be of help in attacking any problem that can be "reasoned" out--from building a bridge to winning a game of anagrams. Generations of readers have relished Polya's deft--indeed, brilliant--instructions on stripping away irrelevancies and going straight to the heart of the problem.… (more)
Recently added byetptupaf, dubeyak, aahlad, T.Seligmann, private library, Wallybob, dfwftw, redmeatliberal, Hazemach

English (11)  Danish (1)  All languages (12)
I came across this book as a result of my entry into Mathematics. If you have read enough Philosophy and question your own assumptions, ideas, you'll find the ideas in this book are repetitive. I would recommend this book to someone who wants to know basic problem-solving skills.

Deus Vult,
Gottfried

gottfried_leibniz | Oct 4, 2019 |
[5 out of 5] My only regret is that I must return this book to the library. This is one of those rare books I recommend to pretty much anyone who has to deal with problem solving.

Not just mathematical problems, though. Polya writes an excellent case for the way we all should approach problems. It's not a formula, rather a scaffolding for thought, strategies for learning and teaching, reflections on successful solving and common pitfalls. If you want to think like a scientist, this is an excellent start, whether you have a science degree/background or not ( )
  andycyca | Aug 6, 2019 |
This book teaches a mathematical method that breaks a problem down into its components. It asks pointed questions and restates problems to increase understanding. I suppose this book is intended for math teachers or teachers in general, but it was still pretty interesting to read. ( )
  Floyd3345 | Jun 15, 2019 |
This work gives an excellent overview of his method and ends with some non-traditional problems to work with solutions. His heuristic dictionary has interesting portions but does not form coherent approach being written in alphabetical order. It is a useful collection of tips and hints for working through problems generally. ( )
  aevaughn | Nov 15, 2017 |
I'm not sure how I missed this all these years - might have come in handy 40 years ago. Excellent problem solving approaches. Filing away for reference in case someone needs it.

I'm glad I saw a reference to it in The Organized Mind. ( )
  Razinha | May 23, 2017 |
(Preface to the First Printing); A great discovery solves a great problem but there is a grain of disovery in the solution of any problem.
(Preface to the Second Edition): The present second edition adds, besides a few minor improvements, a new fourth part, "Problems, Hints, Solutions."
(Foreword by John H. Conway): How to Solve It is a wonderful book!
(Introduction): The following considerations are grouped around the preceding list of questions and suggestions entitled "How to Solve It."
One of the most important tasks of the teacher is to help his students.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 141,585,415 books! | Top bar: Always visible