Milk and Honey

by Faye Kellerman

Series: Decker & Lazarus (3)

In the silent pre-dawn city hours -- alone with his thoughts about Rina Lazarus, the woman he loves, three thousand miles away in New York -- LAPD detective Peter Decker finds a small child, abandoned and covered in blood that is not hers. It is a sobering discovery, and a perplexing one, for nobody in the development where she was found steps forward to claim the little girl. Obsessed more deeply by this case than he imagined possible, Decker is determined to follow the scant clues to an answer. But his trail is leading him to a killing ground where four bodies lie still and lifeless. And by the time Rina returns, Peter Decker is already held fast in a sticky mass of hatred, passion, and murder -- in a world where intense sweetness is accompanied by a deadly sting.… (more)

English (19)  Dutch (1)  German (1)  All languages (21)
Ugh. I was already getting irritated with some things about this series, mainly a clunky writing style and an overuse of the "grittiness" of LA. I continued on to this book because I wanted some resolution in the romance plot, but this book convinced me that the author's treatment of gender and race is just so obnoxious that I'm not going to bother sticking around, and that any resolution in the romance plot would be unsatisfying to me anyway.

Also, I was expecting that a series of mysteries known as the Peter Decker/Rina Lazarus mysteries would involve both characters in solving the mysteries. Instead, it seems like Decker does all the solving, and Rina Lazarus serves as muse/love interest/source of conflict. Yes, there are other women involved in crime-solving, but Decker is really the POV character and by halfway through this book, I had realized that I didn't like him or his point of view. YMMV.

elenaj | Jul 31, 2020 |
murder in bee yard
  ritaer | Jun 2, 2020 |
First read of a Faye Kellerman novel after years of reading Jonathan.
Didn't connect with the main characters, and especially the rural beekeeper/killer families.
Unlikely to try a second ... ( )
  fwbl | Feb 12, 2019 |
In addition to a good plot, engaging writing, and wonderfully real characters, this book manages to address PTSD without explicitly doing so. The characters are simply coping with more or less success. It's especially impressive given that, when it was written, PTSD wasn't nearly as much discussed as it is now. ( )
  hopeevey | May 20, 2018 |
This series is a slow one for me, I only pick one up every once in a while. I still find them interesting, if a little dated. This one starts out with a small child that is found unsupervised in the middle of the night, which of course tugged at my heart strings. The child leads Decker to a murder mystery, and along the way he’s also trying to clear a fellow Vietnam vet of some nasty charges.

The book jumped around a lot and just didn’t leave much of an impression on me. Other than the small child involved, I didn’t feel much for any of the perpetrators/victims in either plot line. Rina plays a very small part in the story, and seems to only be there as a recipient of some information about Decker’s past. It wasn’t weak enough for me to give up on the series, but I won’t be rushing out to pick up the next one either. ( )
  miyurose | Mar 31, 2017 |
To the family—Jonathan, Mom, and the kids.

And to my breakfast buddies: Elyse Wolf, Lynn Rohatiner, Debi Benaron, and Frieda Katz.
The flutter of movement was so slight that had Decker not been a pro, he would have missed it.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 163,365,425 books! | Top bar: Always visible