The Practice of Poetry: Writing Exercises from Poets Who Teach (1992)

by Robin Behn (Editor), Chase Twichell (Editor)

A distinctive collection of more than 90 effective poetry-writing exercises combined with corresponding essays to inspire writers of all levels.

This book has found a permanent place in my life. The exercises in it have inspired about half of the poems I have written since I bought it. Every time I pick it up, it is like attending a poetry seminar held just for me. ( )
  CarolJMO | Dec 12, 2016 |
This book is just chock full of useful exercises to get a poet's pen moving. Some of them are more useful than others, some of them are downright annoying (but not as annoying as the hot-potato exercise that Eric Maisel recommends in "Fearless Creating"--*there's* a book I don't recommend).

I'd say that if you're a severely blocked poet, this book might be of use to you, but only if you're prepared to experiment with exercises that may feel very uncomfortable at first, sometimes even trite.

Overcoming writer's block is different than honing your craft. If there's one positive thing to say about this book, it is that it works well for either issue, and is probably worth owning if you're serious about the writing process, or about *teaching*, as it provides useful exercises for the classroom.
1 vote voncookie | Jun 30, 2016 |

anna_hiller | Jun 22, 2016 |
This is one of my most-used writing books. I use it for ideas when developing workshops and for personal use. I love this book. ( )
  Wordmule | Oct 29, 2012 |
In the Practice of Poetry, editors Behn and Twichell have gathered together advice from a wide array of poets who teach (or teachers who poe). They have taken the exciting job of sorting the unique and diverse suggestions into categories, and have lumped those that deal with similar stuff together.

If you are an autodidactic poet, or an amateur poet, or a student of poetry, then you might find some use from this book. Additionally, some prose writers may find this book to be useful, at least to help capture character voice and break down writers blocks.

While I am not a poet, really, I found this book to be useful, and even inspiring. I'd suggest this book to any looking to be a stronger poet. ( )
1 vote aethercowboy | Jul 10, 2011 |

Behn, RobinEditorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Twichell, ChaseEditormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Pretend you have never been told anything about poems or poets.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 173,826,404 books! | Top bar: Always visible