Troll’s-Eye View: A Book of Villainous…

Troll’s-Eye View: A Book of Villainous Tales

by Ellen Datlow (Editor), Terri Windling (Editor)

208None56,200 (3.81)18

I have a weakness for retold fairy tales and for short stories, so this collection of fairy tales told from the villains' point of view was a must-read for me. Also, Datlow and Windling consistently helm the best anthologies out there, for kids and adults, and I read every one I can get my hands on. This collection has 15 stories by well-known fantasy authors for children and adults, almost all of which I've read at least something earlier, whether it be a short story or two or a novel or two, and it makes for quite the collection. Like all anthologies, there are a few weak stories, or maybe I should say a few stories I didn't enjoy as much as the others, and a few stories that really stood out.

For me, the stand-outs are almost always the dark stories, for I am a twisted soul, and they leave more of an impact on me. My other stand-out story type is superbly done comedies. (For example, in Deborah Noye's collection Gothic: Ten Original Dark Tales, my two favorite stories are MT Anderson's marvelously disturbing "Watch and Wake" and Neil Gaiman's hilarious parody of gothic conventions, "Forbidden Brides of the Faceless Slaves in the Nameless House of the Night of Dread Desire".) So, of course, my favorite stories from this collection are Holly Black's "The Boy Who Cried Wolf' and Kelly Link's "The Cinderella Game", both very dark, creepy stories with endings that play with the "happily ever after" convention. In "the Boy Who Cried Wolf", the narrator learns about a mysterious flower that turns those who sniff its scent into wolves who then devour whoever is closest, and he has to make some tough choices when he and his family land their boat on an island that appears to be covered with the flowers. In "The Cinderella Game", Peter babysits his new, somewhat disturbed, step-sister (he appears somewhat disturbed as well) and things get weird when he agrees to play a game of Cinderella, in which the lines between the good Cinderella and the evil step-sister are blurred.

There are a lot of other great stories, including Peter Beagle's funny "Up the Down Beanstalk", which retells "Jack in the Beanstalk" from the point of view of the giant's wife (I love how matter-of-fact she is about their diet), Midori Snyder's rather haunting retelling of "Molly Whuppie", called "Molly", and Delia Sherman's "Wizard's Apprentice", which follows a much-abused boy on his path to becoming the apprentice to an Evil Wizard who turns out not to be so evil after all.

Overall, this is another excellent anthology for Datlow and Windling. ( )
  Crowinator | Sep 23, 2013 |
Fun! Not quite what I expected (fairy tales from the point of view of the bad guys) but still fun. ( )
  Krumbs | Mar 31, 2013 |
Featuring Peter Beagle (best title: Up the Down Beanstalk), Holly Black, Michael Cadnum, Nancy Farmer, Wendy Froud, Neil Gaiman (poem), Nina Kiriki Hoffman, Ellen Kushner, Kelly Link (less annoying than I usually find her), Garth Nix, Delia Sherman, Midori Snyder, Joseph Stanton, Catherynne Valente, and Jane Yolen. Fairy tales retold from the villain’s point of view, for author-defined values of villain which (plus, I think, the YA focus) means that the villains are generally rewritten as the heroes of their own stories, and the former heroes often revealed to be, in particular, unappealingly greedy—which may say something about current cultural values (among popular fantasy authors at least). Overall, quite enjoyable. ( )
  rivkat | Mar 15, 2013 |
This book is short stories bout fairy tales like Rapunzel and Hansel and Gretel.My favorite story is 'skin.'Skin is a more fictional story about Rumplestilskin.They take stories and make them scarier in this book. ( )
  dbhutch | May 23, 2011 |
What a wonderful read. The villains, the evil-doers, the baddies get their moment in the spotlight. This collection from some of the world's renown fantasy writers is endlessly inventive and entertaining, and I dare say it will change the way you think about those nasty characters. A new take on such famous folks as the witch from Hansel & Gretel, Bluebeard (I quite liked him in the end), Mrs. Giant from Jack and. . . and a number of others. The tales are well written -- some are downright creepy and others thought-provoking. Certainly not just for the kids. Enjoy! ( )
  Laurenbdavis | Mar 19, 2011 |
This anthology of fractured and reconfigured fairy tales for young readers offers an excellent introduction to the unreliability of perspective, one that plenty of adults will find provocative, too. How do the old stories look when retold from the point of view of the wicked witch, the evil wizard, the troll under the bridge?
added by Shortride | editSalon, Laura Miller (Aug 5, 2009)

Datlow, EllenEditorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Windling, TerriEditormain authorall editionsconfirmed
For Mom, who read me all the stories.

—Ellen Datlow

To Ellen’s mom, because I’m so glad she did!

—Terri Windling

Everyone thinks they know the real story behind the villains in fairy tales?evil, no two ways about it. But the villains themselves beg to differ. In Ellen Datlow and Terri Windling?s new anthology for younger readers, you?ll hear from the Giant?s wife (?Jack and the Beanstalk?), Rumplestiltskin, the oldest of the Twelve Dancing Princesses, and many more. A stellar lineup of authors, including Garth Nix, Holly Black, Neil Faiman and Nancy Farmer, makes sure that these old stories do new tricks!

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:45:34 -0400)

Everyone thinks they know the real story behind the villains in fairy tales--evil, no two ways about it. But the villains themselves beg to differ. In this anthology for younger readers, you'll hear from the Giant's wife (from Jack and the Beanstalk), Rumpelstiltskin, the oldest of the Twelve Dancing Princesses, and more.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,484,003 books! | Top bar: Always visible