The Waters & the Wild by Francesca Lia Block

The Waters & the Wild

by Francesca Lia Block

Thirteen-year-old Bee realizes that she is a fairy who has been switched at birth with another girl who now wants her life back.

Bee has never felt like she belongs in Los Angeles, and the doppelganger she keeps seeing only gives more credence to her fears. Her friends Haze and Sarah don't belong either--Haze is convinced he's an alien, and Sarah is the reincarnation of a slave girl. Together they find a sense of belonging they've never known before, but Bee's changeling nature threatens to take her away from them all.

Francesca Lia Block has a writing style that you either love or you hate--but the wild lyricality is toned down somewhat here, making the book more accessible. You still have to follow the leaps from character to character, but it works. There's a brief poetic interlude with references to 9/11 and the Pacific tsunami, but I wonder if teens would pick up on them--it's history to them, not current events.

Recommended for fantasy and fairy-tale fans looking for a quick read. ( )
  DeweyEver | Apr 17, 2013 |
There is no way I could resist a book by FLB that took its title from my favorite Yeats poem. There's some Tam Lin woven in as well. An otherworldly, tinkly, dancing story that, as one expects from FLB, manages to work in intense love of Los Angeles among the magical fairy dust. It was a lot of fun, light and frothy and suffused with that especial Southern California magic that Block has built a career on. ( )
  satyridae | Apr 5, 2013 |
This novel had interesting ideas that could be relatable to a young adult reader. The idea of an identity crisis between the main character and her friends was the central topic. As a early childhood teacher, I would not recommend this novel. Some details were not completely explained and it was hard at times to get a good visual on what the author was wanting the reader to see. ( )
  AnnaMoody | Sep 4, 2012 |
In The Waters and the Wild, Bee is thirteen, and outcast at school, and convinced she's a changeling, ever since she woke to find a girl who looks like her in her bedroom. The other girl disappears after saying "You are me," and starts a line of events like dominoes, ending with new friendships and magic.

Bee makes friend with two other outcasts, Sarah (a girl with a beautiful singing voice convinced she's a reincarnated slave) and Haze (a boy sure he's an alien), and through their short friendship, they all find the confidence to appreciate themselves.

This is my first Francesca Lia Block book, so I'm not familiar with her writing, but I found this one's writing very dreamy and haunting, much as I imagine a fairy world to be. This dreamlike, surreal quality sometimes makes it hard to follow the story, but it is beautiful all the same.

Recommended. ( )
1 vote kayceel | Feb 10, 2010 |
Completely different from anything I've ever read before. Hauntingly beautiful this story deals with paranormal things and a bit of fantasy. What initially drew me to pick this book was the amazing cover art and all in all, the story was pretty good too. :) ( )
  kissmeimgone | Jan 31, 2010 |
The seasons alter...
And this same progeny of evils come
From our debate, from our dissension;
We are their parents and original.
- William Shakespeare, A Midsummer Night's Dream
For my changelings
thirteen ways to know you are a changeling

1. you have never felt as if you quite belonged

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,840,498 books! | Top bar: Always visible