The Rapture by Liz Jensen

The Rapture

by Liz Jensen

374None28,729 (3.3)56

This is the third book I’ve read by Liz Jensen and I can definitely say that I thoroughly admire and enjoy Liz Jensen’s intelligence and literary talent. She’s my type of author, and I doubt there would be anything that she wrote that I wouldn’t find enjoyable on some level or other just because she is so technically brilliant. But I was hesitant to review this novel when I finished it three months ago. I’d given the first two novels very high ratings (“The Uninvited” and “My Dirty Little Book of Stolen Time”). But I was far less pleased with “The Rapture.” It enjoyed it, but at the time I finished it, I just couldn’t put my finger on why I did not like it as much as the other two books. Now, that time has past, I think I understand.

I’ll let you gather more detailed plot summaries from other reviews, because that information has dimmed since I finished this book many months ago. What is clearer now is how I feel about the book in general and in retrospect.

I remember that it was an exceptionally dark, brooding, and strange book that read more like an unfolding horror story. I’d been prepared for a supernatural thriller, but not for a psychological horror story. That surprised me and disturbed me. I remember being very dissatisfied with the ending. It did not seem to fit together well with the rest of the book. The plotting seemed unbalanced. I thought I was reading a dark, realistic, strange suspense novel; then it morphed at the end into an unrealistic supernatural horror story. There should have been a smoother transition. In a nutshell, that is what bothered me.

I am pleased that I read the book. It took me into some very interesting dark and uncomfortable psychological territory, but it left me feeling like the trip was a bit of a fraud…like a lot was missing to tie the whole together better. ( )
  msbaba | May 3, 2013 |
Tedious, predictable, so dull I couln't be bothered to finish it. ( )
  SChant | Apr 26, 2013 |
This one was pretty disappointing. It wasn't bad- it just lacked focus. I really like the premise and it sounded like an interesting plot but it was poorly executed. I felt that the story and characters were all over the place and it wasn't very compelling. Bethany started out as a really interesting, crazy young girl but she randomly turned quite normal. I liked the idea behind the book but it did feel a bit preachy and unfocused. It wasn't awful...just nothing to get excited over. ( )
  nicola26 | Mar 30, 2013 |
Spoilers.
A rather depressing book. I enjoyed the 2nd half better than the first when it became a clear sci fi book rather than a psychological thriller. I'll give it credit for being about the lead up to the end of the world rather than starting at that point. But the characters didn't do much for me and the weird Mills and Boon aspect really grated. Closing curtains = affair - I mean seriously!
I've given it an average score but I probably wouldn't recommend it. ( )
  infjsarah | Nov 3, 2012 |

Liz Jensenprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Mann, DavidCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Raphael
That summer, the summer all the rules began to change, June seemed to last for a thousand years.

In a merciless summer of biblical heat and destructive winds, Gabrielle Fox's main concern is a personal one: to rebuild her career as a psychologist after a shattering car accident. But when she is assigned Bethany Krall, one of the most dangerous teenagers in the country, she begins to fear she has made a terrible mistake. Raised on a diet of evangelistic hellfire, Bethany is violent, delusional, cruelly intuitive and insistent that she can foresee natural disasters - a claim which Gabrielle interprets as a symptom of doomsday delusion. But when catastrophes begin to occur on the very dates Bethany has predicted, and a brilliant, gentle physicist enters the equation, the apocalyptic puzzle intensifies and the stakes multiply. Is the self-proclaimed Nostradamus of the psych ward the ultimate manipulator, or could she be the harbinger of imminent global cataclysm on a scale never seen before? And what can love mean in 'interesting times'? A haunting story of human passion and burning faith set against an adventure of tectonic proportions, The Rapture is an electrifying psychological thriller that explores the dark extremes of mankind's self-destruction in a world on the brink

An electrifying story of science, faith, love, and self-destruction in a world on the brink.

It is a June unlike any other before, with temperatures soaring to asphyxiating heights. All across the world, freak weather patterns—and the life-shattering catastrophes they entail—have become the norm. The twenty-first century has entered a new phase.

But Gabrielle Fox’s main concern is a personal one: to rebuild her life after a devastating car accident that has left her disconnected from the world, a prisoner of her own guilt and grief. Determined to make a fresh start, and shake off memories of her wrecked past, she leaves London for a temporary posting as an art therapist at Oxsmith Adolescent Secure Psychiatric Hospital, home to one hundred of the most dangerous children in the country. Among them: the teenage killer Bethany Krall.

Despite two years of therapy, Bethany is in no way rehabilitated and remains militantly nonchalant about the bloody, brutal death she inflicted on her mother. Raised in evangelistic hellfire, the teenager is violent, caustic, unruly, and cruelly intuitive. She is also insistent that her electroshock treatments enable her to foresee natural disasters—a claim which Gabrielle interprets as a symptom of doomsday delusion.

But as Gabrielle delves further into Bethany’s psyche, she begins to note alarming parallels between her patient’s paranoid disaster fantasies and actual incidents of geological and meteorological upheaval—coincidences her professionalism tells her to ignore but that her heart cannot. When a brilliant physicist enters the equation, the disruptive tension mounts—and the stakes multiply. Is the self-proclaimed Nostradamus of the psych ward the ultimate manipulator or a harbinger of global disaster on a scale never seen before? Where does science end and faith begin? And what can love mean in “interesting times”?

With gothic intensity, Liz Jensen conjures the increasingly unnerving relationship between the traumatized therapist and her fascinating, deeply calculating patient. As Bethany’s warnings continue to prove accurate beyond fluke and she begins to offer scientifically precise hints of a final, world-altering cataclysm, Gabrielle is confronted with a series of devastating choices in a world in which belief has become as precious - and as murderous—as life itself.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:00:42 -0400)

While working with a sixteen-year-old who has been incarcerated for murder, Gabrielle, a therapist, is alarmed by parallels between her client's paranoid fantasies and an escalating series of natural disasters.

Three editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,493,504 books! | Top bar: Always visible