An Affair to Remember by Karen Hawkins

An Affair to Remember

by Karen Hawkins

I hated this book. I should have gotten from the title that it would be full of cheaters...but by ignoring the glaring clues I am not gritting my teeth and wondering what I was thinking. Made it 91% of the way before deciding I could not tolerate another second. ( )
  sweetfe | Jun 6, 2018 |
The first book in the "Tailsman Ring" series. I loved the premise of "whoever has the ring falls in love" plot. It's great! I am a fan of Hawkins already, and have mostly read her newer stuff.. so I am now making my way through her backlist. This book was fun. Great humour, chemistry, and some wonderfully stubborn lead characters which made for fiery confrontations. As I haven't read this series before.. I am already hoping she has written or plans to write, a story for the eldest child Desford. I enjoyed his character and think he'd make a strong Lead. I am looking forward to the rest of the series.

Original Review posted: http://paragraphsandpetticoats.blogspot.ca/2015/01/an-affair-to-remember-by-kare... ( )
  MyaB | Apr 25, 2018 |
I mean, add a group of kids to any story and I'm going to read it. This is more of a 2.5er, but it's on the 2.56 rather than 2.53 side of that equation, so I'm giving it 3. As always, one has to be realistic about what to expect out of a romance novel but the intrigue all happened within the last 15 pages and wasn't terribly intriguing and the villain wasn't much of a villain and then things got a little dub-con-y on and off.

I didn't hate it, but I definitely had a host of quibbles. ( )
  dukedukegoose | Jan 26, 2015 |
This book just didn't do it for me. It was a bit on the boring side - lots of telling and exposition, and very little action. I didn't really like Anna at all - instead of being a fun character, she was grating and annoying - and I really didn't believe in the romance between the hero and heroine. I just didn't feel it. *shrug* A forgettable book. ( )
  sammii507 | Aug 19, 2014 |
The storyline was (predictable but) ok. I guess I read this to take a break from mysteries. It was pleasant enough but the characters were rather thin. Their whole development was in their reputations. They were what they were because she said so. Mischievious, domineering, irresponsible...but little example was given to support the acusations. The children did some naughty things, but they went from devil spawn to angels with little for the reader to go on except being told they were better. I would have liked to have been given more evidence to come to that conclusion for myself. It is supposedly the first of the series (even if it is a sequel to Seducing Sara...see, more you just have to take her word on) so maybe the rest of the series is better developed. I felt a bit like I was reading the author's notes instead of the finished novel. ("Tricia becomes more agreeable...children become more cooperative...Ruppert becomes redeemable...) ( )
  jegka | Sep 29, 2011 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 038082079X, Mass Market Paperback)

An arrogant earl determined to find the perfect wife; an intractable governess determined to transform him into the perfect man--who will win? The first book in The Talisman Ring series, this delightfully humorous and sexy romance links to Karen Hawkins′ last book, The Seduction of Sara.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:16 -0400)

"Perhaps the most brilliantly successful ghost story ever written.'The turn of the screw' creates a terrifyingly believable impression of innocent children so corrupted by evil that they remain deceptive pictures of innocent beauty. Their governess must struggle alone to confront and exorcise the demons which she believes possess their souls.-- Container.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,539,251 books! | Top bar: Always visible