Hello Ocean by Pam Munoz Ryan

Hello Ocean

by Pam Munoz Ryan

5112019,861 (3.91)3

(for the Children's group). It took me too long to figure out the allusion to 'the five of me.' If a lucky child has been to the seashore, s/he'll be able to relive the experience through this girl's sharing - if not, this book will give the child the dream of going there someday. Lovely. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Apr 14, 2015 |
I enjoyed reading this book because it was an easy, feel-good read. Pam Munoz Ryan uses multiple different techniques to capture and keep the reader’s attention throughout the story. For example, she bolds words that have to do with the five senses, see, hear, feel, taste and smell. She bolds words such as “see”, “looks”, “sounds”, and “touch”. Having these particular words bolded allows the reader to visualize the scene along with that particular sense. Even if the line says “I touch the ocean, and the surf gives chase, then wraps me in a wet embrace”, the reader/audience can visualize playing in the ocean and the surrounding water. In addition to the bolded words, Pam Munoz Ryan established a rhyme scheme throughout the story to make the reading experience light and enjoyable. This rhyme scheme can come in handy when this book is read to a younger elementary school classroom (K-2) and the students can then guess the words that come at the end of the phrase. The descriptive language that the author uses throughout this book is fabulous because the reader can create a mental picture based on the lines in the story. Even if the reader, or someone in the “audience”, has not been to the beach, they can use the language to paint their own mental image of what they think the beach is.
As I said earlier, I believe this book would work best in a younger elementary school classroom (K-2) because of the light and airy topic paired with the rhyme scheme. Because it is more of a fun/feel-good read, it may not be used in the older elementary school classrooms (3-5) as much as the younger classrooms. However, the book is still very well written and the corresponding illustrations are wonderful! ( )
  srogel1 | Mar 23, 2015 |
Hello Ocean is a great book to teach kids about the beach. It opens up with a little girl who expresses her love for the ocean, greeting it like an old friend. The book then follows the girl's adventure and captures her love for everything about the ocean and the beach and the attributes of the beach. The genre is realistic fiction.
  lauraleerose | Mar 1, 2015 |
I really enjoyed this book, mostly because I am a beach lover and found the illustrations to be so beautiful life-like, filled with all aspects of the beach. I especially liked close-ups of the family’s faces, because the detail was so amazing and particular, that they almost like real photographs of a family.
The book describes a day at the beach from a young girls perspective, listing all of her favorite things that she enjoys doing while at the beach. The bolded words in the text are the senses the girl is experiencing: “I SEE the ocean, gray, green, blue, a chameleon always changing hue, ” “I HEAR the ocean, a lion’s roar, crashing rumors toward the shore…” These words are poetic as well, which I think gives the text fluidity that mirrors the way the ocean’s waves move. I also liked how this fluidity gave the text a real calming feel, like being at the beach myself.
Phrases like: “bubbly waves that kiss the land” and “water shushing and rushing in, then whispering back to the sea again” are examples of the author’s use of personification, and also relate to how the girl is perceiving things at the beach through hearing and sight. In addition, the author shows elements of touch with: “waves that pounce in rowdy play, tide that tickles with splashing spray.”
In both the beginning and end of the book, the author uses the ocean as a way to personify all that she loves about it by starting with “Hello, ocean, my old best friend,” and ending with “Goodbye ocean, my old best friend.”
I really enjoyed the fluid and poetic nature of this book, in addition to the lovely illustrations scattered on each page. Because perception is a main idea in this book, the author did a good job of describing senses using words to show how they can be explained. The illustrations showed each sense through beautiful pictures, and the relatable beach activities like tasting the salt water and hearing boats and buoys in the distance are sure to capture children’s interests. ( )
  tmalon4 | Mar 1, 2015 |
The imagery shown i this novel, portrays the intense connection the reader has with the ocean. She compares the ocean as an old best friend, someone she feels as though she has a deep connection to. She describes with the ocean with her five senses, telling the ocean she is back with the "five of me again". Throughout the entire book, she feels as though she never wants to leave the ocean. She takes in every thing the ocean has to offer her in return. The theme in my opinion, is that a best friend doesn't always have to be a person. It can be something that you have a lot of passion for and that you feel as though you can be your complete self. Most of the book contains images of the main character being along and being one with the ocean. She is connecting herself with the ocean in a way that is almost intimate yet appropriate. ( )
  mbabst | Feb 1, 2015 |

This is great book to use with preschool children. The rhyming rhythmic structure makes it fun to read and delightful for children to here. The illustrations are absolutely brightly realistic and look as if their ns of coming out of the book. Her descriptions of the ocean can provide lots discussion and open ended questions with young children.

Spend a day at the beach, and take in the ocean through the senses of sight, hearing, feeling, taste, and smell in this lively romp through sand and waves. Glorious illustrations of water, sun, and sky accompany brief, evocative verses, making this a perfect keepsake of a seaside vacation or a striking introduction to the pleasures of a day by the ocean.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:05:17 -0400)

Using rhyming text, a child describes the wonder of the ocean experienced through each of her five senses.

Charlesbridge

3 editions of this book were published by Charlesbridge.

Editions: 0881069884, 1570913722, 0881069876

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 98,478,607 books! | Top bar: Always visible