Hello Ocean by Pam Munoz Ryan

Hello Ocean

by Pam Munoz Ryan

I really enjoyed this book, mostly because I am a beach lover and found the illustrations to be so beautiful life-like, filled with all aspects of the beach. I especially liked close-ups of the family’s faces, because the detail was so amazing and particular, that they almost like real photographs of a family.
The book describes a day at the beach from a young girls perspective, listing all of her favorite things that she enjoys doing while at the beach. The bolded words in the text are the senses the girl is experiencing: “I SEE the ocean, gray, green, blue, a chameleon always changing hue, ” “I HEAR the ocean, a lion’s roar, crashing rumors toward the shore…” These words are poetic as well, which I think gives the text fluidity that mirrors the way the ocean’s waves move. I also liked how this fluidity gave the text a real calming feel, like being at the beach myself.
Phrases like: “bubbly waves that kiss the land” and “water shushing and rushing in, then whispering back to the sea again” are examples of the author’s use of personification, and also relate to how the girl is perceiving things at the beach through hearing and sight. In addition, the author shows elements of touch with: “waves that pounce in rowdy play, tide that tickles with splashing spray.”
In both the beginning and end of the book, the author uses the ocean as a way to personify all that she loves about it by starting with “Hello, ocean, my old best friend,” and ending with “Goodbye ocean, my old best friend.”
I really enjoyed the fluid and poetic nature of this book, in addition to the lovely illustrations scattered on each page. Because perception is a main idea in this book, the author did a good job of describing senses using words to show how they can be explained. The illustrations showed each sense through beautiful pictures, and the relatable beach activities like tasting the salt water and hearing boats and buoys in the distance are sure to capture children’s interests. ( )
  tmalon4 | Mar 1, 2015 |
The imagery shown i this novel, portrays the intense connection the reader has with the ocean. She compares the ocean as an old best friend, someone she feels as though she has a deep connection to. She describes with the ocean with her five senses, telling the ocean she is back with the "five of me again". Throughout the entire book, she feels as though she never wants to leave the ocean. She takes in every thing the ocean has to offer her in return. The theme in my opinion, is that a best friend doesn't always have to be a person. It can be something that you have a lot of passion for and that you feel as though you can be your complete self. Most of the book contains images of the main character being along and being one with the ocean. She is connecting herself with the ocean in a way that is almost intimate yet appropriate. ( )
  mbabst | Feb 1, 2015 |
Read to my son way back when. ( )
  pussreboots | Sep 24, 2014 |
A beautifully illustrated book about a girl's trip to the ocean. This story is told in rhyme and includes all five senses and is in both English and Spanish. I loved looking at how the language changed the content but not the meaning. One page in English says "Wide Open water before my eyes," in Spanish it says "In my eyes, the wide and beautiful sea" "ante mis ojos, el mar ancho y bonito". Excellent use of descriptive language to reflect strong imagery. ( )
  kghaemmaghami | Apr 24, 2014 |
This book is about sense at the beach.
source: Pierce College Library
Age: 4-6
  Yuna0130 | Mar 20, 2014 |

This is great book to use with preschool children. The rhyming rhythmic structure makes it fun to read and delightful for children to here. The illustrations are absolutely brightly realistic and look as if their ns of coming out of the book. Her descriptions of the ocean can provide lots discussion and open ended questions with young children.

Spend a day at the beach, and take in the ocean through the senses of sight, hearing, feeling, taste, and smell in this lively romp through sand and waves. Glorious illustrations of water, sun, and sky accompany brief, evocative verses, making this a perfect keepsake of a seaside vacation or a striking introduction to the pleasures of a day by the ocean.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:23:32 -0400)

Using rhyming text, a child describes the wonder of the ocean experienced through each of her five senses.

Charlesbridge

3 editions of this book were published by Charlesbridge.

Editions: 0881069884, 1570913722, 0881069876

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 95,713,803 books! | Top bar: Always visible