Tales of the Unexpected (1979)

by Roald Dahl

Series: Tales of the Unexpected [Dahl]

Dahl is a master at introducing readers to a new sense of what lurks beneath the ordinary.
    Unexpected Tales from the Ends of the Earth by Martin Craig-Downer (raymond.mathiesen)
    raymond.mathiesen: It would be difficult to write a review of Unexpected Tales without some comparison with Roald Dahl’s Tales Of The Unexpected: the humour, the “Oh my God! endings, and the reflection on the darker side of human nature are all analogous.

English (12)  Danish (1)  Spanish (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (15)
A favorite. Dahl definitely has types in this book, but the twist endings are a delight, the conceits each a charming curiosity. "Hitchhiker" was one of the stories which made me want to write. ( )
  et.carole | Jan 21, 2022 |
i loved roald dhal as a kid and i love him even more as an adult. so satisfying to see nasty people get their comeuppance ( )
  cthuwu | Jul 28, 2021 |
A series of well written little shockers. Thoroughly enjoyable. ( )
  Equestrienne | Jan 5, 2021 |
A nice collection of simple, quirky, page-turner tales mostly about uppity old early 20th century British people and their uppity old early 20th century British problems. ( )
  Williamjarvis | Nov 30, 2018 |
I read this anthology when I was in grade school. We had a little library in our parish school classroom which I thought was brilliant. It was mostly filled with Sweet Valley High novels, so this book really stood out. None of the other students read it, but then they weren't as nerdy as I was with my watching Dr.Who and Blake's 7 every weekend on PBS. I kind of miss that kind of ostracism. When adults ostracize one another, it's far more wicked, especially among women. Sigh.
Returning to this book for the Halloween season was a real joy, though it took a bit of effort to track down a clean copy. Dahl is so beloved for his seemingly children's novels, that these Poe-meets-Cheever-and-O.Henry-on-a-rambling-Cotswalds-path stories are a bit overlooked. I was excited to re-read the showstopper classics like "William and Mary," "Royal Jelly," and "The Sound Machine." I still remember the chill I experienced reading these for the first time as a kid. I also adored "Galloping Foxley" which a lot of folks might relate to in a quiet way, and "Neck" which is full of quintessentially British repressed rage. Maybe I'll try to track down the follow-up volume, More Tales of the Unexpected. ( )
  Virginia-A | Dec 21, 2016 |

Roald Dahlprimary authorall editionscalculated
Jaben, SethCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Payá, CarmelinaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Samons, AntonioTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
There were six of us to dinner that night at Mike Schofield's house in London: Mike and his wife and daughter, my wife and I, and a man called Richard Pratt. ("Taste")

Contains the following stories:
"The Landlady"
"William and Mary"
"The Way Up to Heaven"
"Parson's Pleasure"
"Mrs. Bixby and the Colonel's Coat"
"Royal Jelly"
"Edward the Conqueror"
"The Sound Machine"
"Georgy Porgy"
"The Hitchhiker"
"Poison"
"The Boy Who Talked with Animals"
"The Umbrella Man"
"Genesis and Catastrophe"
"The Butler"

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 166,316,689 books! | Top bar: Always visible