Kiss an Angel

by Susan Elizabeth Phillips

Fiction. Romance. Humor (Fiction.) HTML:

Pretty, flighty Daisy Devreaux can either go to jail or marry the mystery man her father has chosen for her. Arranged marriages don't happen in the modern world, so how did the irrepressible Daisy find herself in this fix?

Alex Markov, as humorless as he is deadly handsome, has no intention of playing the loving bridegroom to a spoiled little feather-head with champagne tastes. He drags Daisy from her uptown life to a broken down traveling circus and sets out to tame her to his ways.

But this man without a soul has met his match in a woman who's nothing but heart. Before long, passion will send them flying sky high without a safety net... risking it all in search of a love that will last forever.

… (more)

English (34)  Spanish (2)  Italian (1)  All languages (37)
I read this for the circus setting. I liked some aspects of the book but didn't like others. ( )
  libraryofemma | Apr 18, 2024 |
This book was problematic in ways I didn't expect for a romance this old. The animal cruelty stuff bothered me, but knowing that animal handling practices have changed in circuses made it a little easier to take. But this book would not be good for people who are very sensitive to animal cruelty. Odd thing to write in a review of a romance novel.

The main character wasn't nearly as flighty as the cover blurb said, which was odd. It was also odd that she talked like an 18th century nun. I had to look up the meaning of "circumstanced" and I'm still not convinced that it's commonly used the way SEP used it. And some of the descriptions of clothing items were strange.

Mostly, I didn't enjoy this book. The ending was good, which saved this a little for me. ( )
  Greenfrog342 | Jan 22, 2024 |
This review may contain spoilers, so fair warning, upon reading the review.

Book Evaluation:
Plot: ๐ŸŽž๏ธ๐ŸŽž๏ธ๐ŸŽž๏ธ๐ŸŽž๏ธ๐ŸŽž๏ธ
World Building:๐ŸŒŽ๐ŸŒŽ๐ŸŒŽ๐ŸŒŽ๐ŸŒŽ
Cover:๐Ÿ“”๐Ÿ“”๐Ÿ“”๐Ÿ“”
Hero: ๐Ÿฆธ๐Ÿป๐Ÿฆธ๐Ÿป๐Ÿฆธ๐Ÿป๐Ÿฆธ๐Ÿป๐Ÿฆธ๐Ÿป
Heroine:๐Ÿฆธ๐Ÿปโ€โ™€๏ธ๐Ÿฆธ๐Ÿปโ€โ™€๏ธ๐Ÿฆธ๐Ÿปโ€โ™€๏ธ๐Ÿฆธ๐Ÿปโ€โ™€๏ธ๐Ÿฆธ๐Ÿปโ€โ™€๏ธ
Intimacy Level: ๐Ÿ”ฅ๐Ÿ”ฅ๐Ÿ”ฅ
Narration:๐ŸŽง๐ŸŽง๐ŸŽง๐ŸŽง
Ending:๐Ÿงง๐Ÿงง๐Ÿงง๐Ÿงง๐Ÿงง
Overall View: โœจโœจโœจโœจ.5

First Impressions
Kiss An Angel is a standalone romantic comedy by Susan Elizabeth Phillips. This is a classic style of a romantic comedy and I had such a blast with this one. I am falling in love with this style of Phillips and how she crafts a romance. Kiss An Angel was recommended to me as I am such a strong fan of the arranged marriage trope so I went into this one with so much excitement. And It was worth it for sure. This book held my heart very early on. It does have some elements in the content of the story that may prove to be challenging for some readers, but I fell so hard for this book and especially the romance that is built within this one here. I really was hooked into Kiss An Angel and was completely different than I expected it to be but it delivered fully and had me laughing so hard all the way through it.

First Line
Daisy Devreauyx had forgotten her bridegroom's name...

Summary
Kiss an Angel begins with the start of a marriage. Alex Markov is a broody man who doesnโ€™t believe he can ever love. But he makes a deal with Daisyโ€™s father and will be married to Daisy for six months. Daisy finds herself in trouble with the law, her father gets her out of it, but in exchange she will have to marry this dark stranger who doesnโ€™t know how to smile or laugh and is strict in standards of behavior. Daisy knows that she has little choice in this marriage, but wants to make the best of the circumstances that have been dealt to her. For Daisy marriage and sex is sacred and she wants to do her best in this marriageโ€ฆ.but marriage to Alex wonโ€™t be as easy as she would have imagined. Alex manages a circus and Daisy being his wife, she will now have to work alongside him in the workings of the circus. Daisy is shocked that her marriage will start off this way, she and animals do not get along, and she is cursed when it comes to relating to animals but Daisy starts to find her own strength and connections to these animals who win her heart alongside with their masterโ€ฆAlex Markov. But will the ice around Alexโ€™s heart be able to be melted or will Daisy be in this marriage aloneโ€ฆ.

What I Loved
So many things I adored about this book here. Kiss An Angel is a riot of angst and chemistry and delicious humor that just pulls you more and more into the story. I absolutely adored both of these characters. They are the true epitome of grumpy sunshine. And the circus setting was so fascinating. Especially in the viewpoint from the mid 90โ€™s, this was definitely a different time and it had so many nostalgic vibes and this is why I donโ€™t mind reading older contemporaries because it has a view of a time that is so different and refreshing from today. I really enjoyed the way in which these two banter with each other. They have such different expectations and outlooks on life so seeing them find ways to become compatible was entertaining. We also have the conflicts that rise within this story. It was so heartwrenching to see what this heroine has to go through at times. But we see her journey in finding herself and seeing what she is capable of accomplishing. On the surface, she seems flighty, but she has this will of iron, and seeing that be tested was perfection. I loved what we saw her overcome. What I also admired was how she took her vows so seriously and how she views sex was so refreshing from what we see in so many contemporaries these days. And the way in which she is willing to fight for her marriage is inspiring. Then we have our delectable hero, who is hard as stone. He has suffered abuse as a kid, which has shaped him in the hard-hearted man that he is. He cares for others, but it doesnโ€™t always show. We see how slowly Daisyโ€™s personality and courage wins him over and how he has to face up to the demons of his past and find his own will to open himself up to love.

What I Struggled With
The third act in this book was really tough to swallow. I had a rough time with how the grovel scene was handled. I felt like there should have been more forgiveness portrayed and not stretching out the grovel, as it didnโ€™t need to be stretched out like it was and turned me off a bit. As long as there is change and sincerity in the grovel, it never needs to be stretched out to these proportions.

Narration
Anna Fields portrays this authorโ€™s books perfectly! She really brings out the humor just right and also just handles the vibe and tone of the story just right and delivers the classic feel of the story.

Overall View
Kiss An Angel is a stimulating, heart and humor delivered just right, and a story that is packed with relatable characters, charm and class and delivers a captivating arranged marriage romance to delight in! A DELECTABLE GEM!

Favorite Quote(s)
Donโ€™t dare a person who has nothing else left to lose.โ€

There was a sweetness about her that was as unexpected as it was disturbing because it made her so much more vulnerable than he wanted her to be.

We can do this easy, or we can do it rough. Either way, Iโ€™m going to win. You decide how itโ€™ll be.

But I donโ€™t love you, Daisy, and you canโ€™t begin to know how sorry I am about that because if I could chose anyone in this world to love, itโ€™d be you.

โ€œI donโ€™t love you anymore,Alex.โ€
โ€œItโ€™s alright sweetheart.I love you enough for the both of us.โ€

โ€œI love you, Daisy. I love you so much I hurt.โ€

Book Details (also in my shelves)
Sub Genre: Contemporary Romance, Romantic Comedy

Relationship Conflict

Song This Book Inspires
Wildest Dreams by Taylor Swift

Steam/Spice Explanations

Warmin' by the fire- a medium level of sexual tension, a balance of sexual and emotional intimacy, lighter on the details in the sexual moments.

Narrators:
Anna Fields ( )
  addictofromance | Oct 5, 2023 |
Sooo I really loved this one. I mean it started out funny but then the female lead's character development was so strong, I went from giggling to ooohs and then ohs and yes some rage because boy do men suck in these stories and to that final heartache when you realize a woman has just given up. I mean you just know, and if you happen to be a female reader, that's something we will always share as women. Nevertheless, 10 points to this brilliant story, superior aich-o-tea scenes and our unflinching (hah) heroine. ( )
  Tooba.B | May 25, 2023 |
Kiss an Angel
4.5 Stars

Forced to marry the devastatingly handsome yet cold and humorless Alex Markov, Daisy Devereaux does what she does best - gives it her all. Flighty, featherbrained Daisy is the last woman Alex thought he would be attracted to, but Daisy's incredible heart and passion for life soon have him questioning his long held belief that love is for fools. Do such stark opposites have a chance at a future together?

Susan Elizabeth Philips is rapidly becoming my favorite new author. Her characters and events come alive on the page despite the often ridiculous circumstances and scenarios.

Alex starts out as a complete alpha jerk who treats Daisy abominably with every intention of driving her away. But his cold hearted facade gradually melts as Daisy weaves her guileless web of charm and affection around him. Their chemistry is tangible and their romance both sweet and sexy.

The secondary characters are well-developed from the spiteful teenager with a crush on Alex to the manipulative circus owner bent on revenge.

The circus setting is quite original and scenes from The Greatest Show on Earth kept running through my mind while reading. The inclusion of animal characters, while adding another layer of charm, also raises question regarding the ethics of keeping wild animals in captivity for human entertainment.

In sum, Kiss an Angel is a fantastic opposites attract romance for fans who adore a good grovel from their heroes. ( )
  Lauren2013 | May 5, 2023 |

Susan Elizabeth Phillipsprimary authorall editionscalculated
Chiappa, Caterinasecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Fields, AnnaReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wittich, Gertrudsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Publisher Series

Daisy Devreaux had forgotten her bridegroom's name.

Fiction. Romance. Humor (Fiction.) HTML:

Wedding Day

Alex Markov, as humorless as he is deadly handsome, has no intention of playing the loving bridegroom to a spoiled little featherhead with champagne tastes. He drags Daisy from her uptown life to a broken down traveling circus and sets out to tame her to his ways.

But this man without a soul has met his match in a woman who's nothing but heart. Before long, passion will send them flying sky high without a safety net...risking it all in search of a love that will last forever.

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 206,951,706 books! | Top bar: Always visible