The Game: Penetrating the Secret Society of Pickup Artists (2005)

by Neil Strauss

Nearly every major city in the world has them: hidden underground seduction lairs where men gather to trade the most devastatingly effective techniques ever invented to seduce women. This is not fiction. For two years, bestselling author Neil Strauss lived among these men. Using the pseudonym Style to protect his real-life identity, he began his remarkable journey from AFC (Average Frustrated Chump) to PUA (Pickup Artist) to PUG (Pickup Guru) -refining his approach, sharing unforgettable encounters with the likes of Tom Cruise, Britney Spears, Paris Hilton, and Courtney Love, and ultimately transforming himself from frog to prince . . . to prisoner. And then things started to get really strange. One of the most explosive and controversial books in years, The Game is guaranteed to change the lives of men and transform the way women understand the opposite sex forever.… (more)

This book is sad, brutal, and very well written. [a:Neil Strauss|588|Neil Strauss|http://photo.goodreads.com/authors/1296513251p2/588.jpg] is an amazing author, able to daringly pull his reader through the pages, feel his anxieties, chuckle over his blunders, and ultimately cry over the trashy, pointless end to a grand social experiment.

He wanted to become successful with women. . . and he did, beyond his wildest dreams. In the processes, he became a hero, a mentor, a guide to hundreds of young acolytes. Will he be able to keep his success and find true happiness? Or will he discover, in the end, that it is he who has been played? ( )
  seamus_j | Jun 30, 2022 |
Much better than I expected. I wouldn’t normally write a review about this book, but I notice its low ranking despite what I thought was a pretty well written memoir. Then I saw that most poor reviews are bashing Strauss not for the quality of his writing or storytelling, but because they are in some way offended (understandably so) by the pick-up artist culture and its characters. But this is like rating a WWII spy memoir poorly because there are too many evil Nazis in it.

I personally found myself fascinated by the PUA culture and the storytelling was captivating.

Audiobook. ( )
  invisiblecityzen | Mar 13, 2022 |

Audiobook. ( )
  invisiblecityzen | Mar 13, 2022 |
this is honestly a pretty damn fascinating book, especially in retrospect of what we see "puas" or "incels" as today, and how they've changed over the years. one of the famous puas in this book seems to have a hard time adapting to the new algorithm landscape in particular.

the ending is pretty weak, probably because an editor wanted a happy ending or it was rushed. clearly laughable now
  rottweilersmile | Feb 28, 2022 |
A great book that will show you a picture of the community of pickup artists.

The author did a great job telling its read how and why he became a pick up artist(PUA) and in the end indirectly tells us why shouldn't necessarily strive to become one.

Perfect for guys who wants to get their dream girl. ( )
  kicker27 | Jun 27, 2018 |
The Game sends out a very mixed message to wannabe PUAs: You’ll get laid a lot, but you may try to commit suicide..., lose your job, or like Strauss almost alienate the love of your life. Not to mention herpes!
added by Shortride | editBookslut, Jennifer Shahade (Mar 1, 2006)

I truly satisfied identified this site. Your blog content include lots of stuff as well as very good endeavors, my partner and i compulsorily giving this kind of to my own close friends.
Cat Ninja
Wormateio
added by monojoli | editlondon, fancy

Neil Straussprimary authorall editionscalculated
Bergdahl, IngelaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Chang, BernardIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"I could not become anything: neither bad nor good, neither a scoundrel nor an honest man, neither a hero nor an insect. And now I am eking out my days in my corner, taunting myself with the bitter and entirely useless consolation that an intelligent man cannot seriously become anything; that only a fool can become something."  /. Fyodor Dostoevsky, Notes from Underground
Dedicated to the thousands of people I talked to in bars, clubs, malls, airports, grocery stores, subways, and elevators over the last two years.

If you are reading this, I want you to know that I wasn't running game on you. I was being sincere. Really. You were different.
The house was a disaster.

Canongate Books

An edition of this book was published by Canongate Books.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 176,601,655 books! | Top bar: Always visible