Stolen

by Lucy Christopher

Sixteen-year-old Gemma, a British city-dweller, is abducted while on vacation with her parents and taken to the Australian outback, where she soon realizes that escape attempts are futile, and in time she learns that her captor is not as despicable as she first believed.
    Living Dead Girl by Elizabeth Scott (weener)
    weener: Living Dead Girl is a lot more graphic and disturbing than Stolen, but both are well-written, compelling tales of the relationship between kidnappers and their victims.
    The Face on the Milk Carton by Caroline B. Cooney (kaledrina)
    Taken by Edward Bloor (kaledrina)
    Girl, Stolen by April Henry (kaledrina)
    A Stolen Life: A Memoir by Jaycee Dugard (LAKobow)
    Room by Emma Donoghue (gypsysmom)
    gypsysmom: similar plot
    The Girl in the Box by Ouida Sebestyen (bookel)
    The Night She Disappeared by April Henry (kaledrina)
    The Missing Girl by Norma Fox Mazer (kaledrina)

English (139)  German (1)  All languages (140)
A great story with a beautiful setting.

I loved the story but what I liked the most was reading about how Gemma and Ty experienced/reacted to their surroundings in the Sandy Desert. While Gem had a hard time getting used to a whole new environment while dealing with the circumstance of being in the middle of nowhere with a stranger, Ty was at home and trying to make Gem see the beauty of the land and how much it needs protection.
My favourite scene has to be the one where Ty paints the desert inside the outbuilding and on his own body, merging with his surroundings. It sounds magical and I wish Ty wasn't that troubled because he would make for a wonderful character in a 'normal' contemporary novel.

_Marcia_94_ | Sep 21, 2021 |
My whole purpose for reading this book was to experience 2nd person POV as talked about in this post

I don't think I'm a fan of that writing style...it was a bit too much at times, in a "Ok move on" kind of way, yet the story itself turned out to be something that held my interest and I was able to finish it in a day or so.

16-yo Gemma is taken by a man at the Bangkok airport and held captive in the middle of the Australian desert. Can. You. Imagine??? How the heck are you going to get away from this guy when there is literally nothing but sand as far as the eye can see? How do you live with the daily fear of what he might do to you?

I thought the back story of how he chose her and how he did it was interesting.

I found Gemma's thoughts and reactions were very believable.

The part about the camel was a bit far-fetched, but I still liked it because I, of course, fell in love with that camel.

Jinjer | Jul 19, 2021 |
Ow. That sound is my head hurting after finishing this roller coaster ride of a book. I'm still not sure what I think. I didn't hate it but I can't bring myself to give it more than 2.5 stars which for some reason I chose to round down to 2. Ow. ( )
  Stacie-C | May 8, 2021 |
The book Stolen, written by Lucy Christopher tells the story of a girl, Gemma, who was kidnapped at an airport and brought to an isolated part of Australia. The guy, Ty, loves Gemma and created a place for them to live together. Ty expected Gemma to reciprocate mutual feelings but Gemma is reluctant at first. Gemma has contradicting feelings and takes actions that she feels is best. This story was very unique and I found it very interesting. I was unsure of how everything was going to play out and I like how it wasn’t very predictable. I would recommend this book to people who love an intriguing story related to captivity and love.
  ssmith22 | Nov 1, 2020 |
this is straight up a book about a girl who was kidnapped and taken away to the middle of the desert and the creepy, complicated, evolving relationship she develops with her captor. IT IS ALL VERY CREEPY AND COMPLICATED. I AM NOT JOKING: CREEPY AND COMPLICATED. it never turned sexual, THANK GOD, but just, uuuuuugh.

it's hard to say DAMN, I LOVED THIS BOOK because the subject matter is so rough and the narration difficult (it's written in the form of a letter to the captor), but the writing itself was fantastic and the language was gorgeous; it was compelling and evocative and I'm not sorry I read it, but I can't say I'm glad either. it will stick with me, though, and that's just as important. ( )
  kickthebeat | Nov 1, 2020 |

Lucy Christopherprimary authorall editionscalculated
Lucy Christophersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Mum and Simon who helped, and for the desert that inspiried
You saw me before I saw you.

Gemma is kidnapped, or 'stolen', from an airport. She is taken away from everything she knows to the wild and remote Australian outback; where all her impressions, instincts and feelings are irrevocably challenged. This book is a letter to her captor.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 165,873,504 books! | Top bar: Always visible