Rubyfruit Jungle (1973)

by Rita Mae Brown

Born a bastard, Molly Bolt is adopted by a dirt-poor Southern couple who want something better for their daughter. Molly plays doctor with the boys, beats up Leroy the tub and loses her virginity to her girlfriend in sixth grade. As she grows to realize she's different, Molly decides not to apologize for that. In no time she mesmerizes the head cheerleader of Ft. Lauderdale High and captivates a gorgeous bourbon-guzzling heiress. But the world is not tolerant. Booted out of college for moral turpitude, an unrepentant, penniless Molly takes New York by storm, sending not a few female hearts aflutter with her startling beauty, crackling wit and fierce determination to become the greatest filmmaker that ever lived.-Back cover.… (more)

English (52)  Swedish (1)  All languages (53)
Rita Mae Brown wrote a lesbian cult classic and then pivoted into writing cozy mysteries featuring cats and foxes. Fascinating. ( )
  SarahMac314 | Aug 12, 2022 |
I read this twice the night I got it. I kept rereading it over the next year. I'm not sure how or why, but I got sick of it. For some reason, i was thinking of it today and thought I'd review it. It's--yes, it's often recommend as coming out literature, but it's--I feel like I should compile a list of coming out books. This one won't be on it. I feel like it's outdated and sends a very different message, and several instances have unfortunate implications. ( )
  iszevthere | Jun 23, 2022 |
Brown does a great job of putting the frustrations, as well as the joys, of being a lesbian in the second half of the twentieth century. Molly, the main character, is clearly a mouthpiece for Brown, and Molly occasionally launches into rants that sound a little too contrived. But mostly the story is sexy, fun, and a great read. ( )
  AlainaZ | Jun 5, 2022 |
Rubyfruit Jungle by Rita Mae Brown (1980)
  sharibillops | May 20, 2022 |
THE classic coming out story. ( )
  Windyone1 | May 10, 2022 |

Brown, Rita Maeprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Lammers, GeertjeTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dedicated to
ALEXIS SMITH

Actress, Wit, Beauty, Cook, Kindheart, Irreverent Observer of Political Phenomena, Etc. If I were to list her outstanding qualities, you, dear reader, would be exhausted before you get to page one. So let me just say the abovementioned woman took the time to give me a playful push in the direction of my typewriter. Of course, after you read the book, you may wish that she had pushed me in front of something moving faster than a typewriter.
No one remembers her beginnings.
Leroy bet me I couldn't find a pot of gold at the end, and I told him that was a stupid bet because the rainbow was enough.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 174,253,656 books! | Top bar: Always visible