Fortress in the Eye of Time

by C. J. Cherryh

Series: Fortress/Tristen Sihhë (1)

Deep in an abandoned, shattered castle, an old man of the Old Magic muttered almost forgotten words. His purpose -- to create out of the insubstance of the air, from a shimmering of light and a fluttering of shadows. that most wonderous of spells, a Shaping. A Shaping in the form of a, young man who will be sent east on the road the old was to old to travel. To right the wrongs of a long-forgotten wizard war, and call new wars into being. Here is the long-awaited major new novel from one of the brightest stars in the fantasy and science fiction firmament.C.J.Cherryh's haunting story of the wizard Mauryl, kingmaker for a thousand years of Men, and Tristen, fated to sow distrust between a prince and his father being. A tale as deep as legend and a intimate as love, it tells of a battle beyond Time, in which all Destiny turns on the wheel of an old man's ambition, a young man's innocence, and the unkept promised of a king to come.… (more)
    Mirage by Louise Cooper (sandstone78)
    sandstone78: Blank slate heroes pulled into complex fantasy worlds

Can a writer plagiarize herself?

I started playing a little game with myself as I got into this book - 'Which Character Is This?'

Almost every character in this book I've met before, with a different name, in different surroundings, but nonetheless, the same person at heart.

Along with the similar characters come similar relationships.

The book starts with the familiar Cherryh premise - legendary parent/teacher and child/student of wildly different origin.

The familiar innocent but gifted lord and experienced but subservient bodyguard as friends comes along in due time, as does smart benevolent ruler and bemused unworthy noble.

Oh sure, the backdrop is different. Most of the duplication I'm thinking of is with her sci-fi works, not this straight up fantasy. And, not all the characters are repeats. It's more of a 'mashup'.

I can't even say which stole from which, since this novel came out in the nineties, and at least some of the characters I'm thinking of probably post-date this work.

What keeps this story from being strictly a boring repeat, is that she's repeating some of her strongest characters, and the best situations that result.

If you're new to Cherryh, or prefer sci-fi to fantasy, this isn't where I'd start, but it's certainly worth checking out along the way.

If you love her work, you have to read this one, and you'll enjoy it.

furicle | Aug 5, 2023 |
Have made 3 attempts now on this book but have finally had to throw in the towel at pg 250. I just can't into the sloooooooooooow build. However, I happened to come by the second book and the blurb on the back sounds exactly like what was happening for most of what I've already read so, um, that's weird but seems like I can just continue with a later setting and call it good.

I've really been wanting to try Cherryh so if anyone has a suggestion I'd love to hear where to start. Obviously, for me, this was not the right title.
  sgwordy | Dec 31, 2022 |
excellent characterization and character development, wonderful prose, amazing dialogue; not always easy reading (like the Morgaine books) but very enjoyable ( )
  MarkLacy | May 29, 2022 |
I tried, I tried for so long. But this falls into the category of CJ Cherryh books where a young bewildered man wanders around stumbling into things while nothing discernable happens(*) and I just couldn't keep trudging through that for a whole book let alone a whole series. I'd like to know what happens next, but I suspect nothing does.

(*) Honestly I can't recall any CJ Cherryh book I've encountered that this doesn't describe, but some managed to either disguise it better with more semblance of plot to hold me, or caught me before I'd cottoned onto the pattern. ( )
1 vote zeborah | Aug 23, 2019 |
Tristen is a revenant, the classic hero brought back from the dead. He serves Cefwin, the new king of Ylesuin, and his own destiny, of which he is unsure. Cherryh's world building is competent, but overall I would not call this opening volume of a trilogy her best work!
. ( )
  DinadansFriend | May 15, 2018 |

Cherryh, C. J.primary authorall editionsconfirmed
Goodfellow, PeterCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

For Lynn and Jane for a lot of hours... through the lightning strikes and the rest of it
Its name had been Galasien once, a city of broad streets and thriving markets, of docks crowded with bright-sailed river craft.

High fantasy with an interesting twist as Tristen is Summoned and Shaped to the world and not born there. Politics rules and war comes when lies and deceit are instigated by an evil spirit.

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 205,895,471 books! | Top bar: Always visible