The Positronic Man (1993)

by Isaac Asimov, Robert Silverberg

Series: Foundation Expanded Universe

A technological breakthrough leads to the development of an extraordinary robot named Andrew, who create, learn, adapt and even feel. However, when U.S. robots and Mechanical Men Inc. learn of his talents, they terminate this new line of robots, frightened of its implications. But Andrew has other ideas.… (more)

English (12)  Dutch (2)  French (1)  All languages (15)
Faithful robot friend
you've more than earned your freedom
keep up the good fight. ( )
  Eggpants | Jun 25, 2020 |
It's amazing sometimes to see the differences between books and the movies they inspire. There are definite similarities to both and there are major discrepancies between them. Thankfully the book is not nearly as schmuckish (not sure that is even a word) as the movie was. I am so glad that there was so much artistic licensing in the second half of the movie, since it turns out to be more or less a Robin Williams vehicle. As is usually the case, the book is much better than the movie.
This is Asimov at his best I think, with the help Silverberg fleshing out the characters more than Asimov did in the Bicentennial Man short story. You can see the difference in styles when comparing this to the Foundation Series that Asimov wrote alone. This really gives the Three Laws a thorough going over legally as the story progresses. Highly recommended. ( )
  krgulick | Jun 19, 2019 |
This is an excellent story of robots and men in its own right, but, at first, I thought there appeared to be some inconsistency with some of Asimov's other books. It is obviously set in the same fictional universe, but the previous advancement of robotic science and creating lifelike androids on planets other than Earth (e.g. Aurora) seems to be unknown. Then, I realized this is actually a prequel to the events told in the other robot books (The Caves of Steel, The Naked Sun, The Robots of Dawn). ( )
  DLMorrese | Oct 14, 2016 |
For such a quick and easy read, at least on the technical level; intellectually, it will blow your mind.

There is so much more to this story than that of an individual's struggle to evolve to an autonomous entity in a society that considers him to be nothing more than a appliance. Is he any less human or sentient simply because he was manufactured not developed? The story will have you thinking quite a bit about subjugation, slavery, autonomy, humanity, prejudice, and more.

Readers who have seen "Bicentennial Man" and "I, Robot" will recognize names and situations and will enjoy seeing where the ideas for these movies was born.

This is a book I would recommend to those who've been hesitant to read science fiction, or want to introduce it to a younger or reluctant reader. It is definitely one I will keep multiple copies of because I plan on giving away/loaning them when I have enough on hand. ( )
  jcmontgomery | Mar 6, 2014 |
This book is really excellent. We follow the struggles of the robot Andrew Martin, who strives to become human. He faces a very long opposition and undergoes dramatic changes to accomplish his goal. The writing style is rather descriptive, with which I don't mean there are loads of descriptions, but that the book is not very emotional. It simply describes what happens and lets the events carry the emotions, instead of the language. As a result, the book is not highly exciting, as some others are, but it is very appealing nonetheless, the kind of book you keep picking up almost involuntarily. ( )
  zjakkelien | Jan 4, 2013 |

Asimov, Isaacprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Silverberg, Robertmain authorall editionsconfirmed
Youll, StephenCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

Belongs to Publisher Series

THE THREE LAWS OF ROBOTICS
1. A robot may not injure a human being, or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm.
2. A robot must obey the orders given it by human beings except where such orders would conflict with the First Law.
3. A robot must protect its own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the First or Second Law.
For Janet and Karen - with much love
"If you'll take a seat, sir," the surgeon said, gesturing toward the chair in front of his desk.

GenreThing

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 160,392,485 books! | Top bar: Always visible