The Positronic Man by Isaac Asimov
Recently added byprivate library, nzhunt, bruc79, SnootyBaronet, bibliopolitan, kewlgeek, daves0, Melfice, apostate

English (10)  French (1)  All languages (11)
For such a quick and easy read, at least on the technical level; intellectually, it will blow your mind.

There is so much more to this story than that of an individual's struggle to evolve to an autonomous entity in a society that considers him to be nothing more than a appliance. Is he any less human or sentient simply because he was manufactured not developed? The story will have you thinking quite a bit about subjugation, slavery, autonomy, humanity, prejudice, and more.

Readers who have seen "Bicentennial Man" and "I, Robot" will recognize names and situations and will enjoy seeing where the ideas for these movies was born.

This is a book I would recommend to those who've been hesitant to read science fiction, or want to introduce it to a younger or reluctant reader. It is definitely one I will keep multiple copies of because I plan on giving away/loaning them when I have enough on hand. ( )
  jcmontgomery | Mar 6, 2014 |
I loved this book when I was about nine or ten. My mum got it out from the library for me and I read it over and over and over again, refusing to let her take it back to the library for me. My girlfriend got me a copy of my own, eventually, and I still love it. Andrew's progression from robot to human is touching and the reactions of the characters in the background are believable and realistic -- from acceptance to disquiet to hate. ( )
  shanaqui | Apr 9, 2013 |
This book is really excellent. We follow the struggles of the robot Andrew Martin, who strives to become human. He faces a very long opposition and undergoes dramatic changes to accomplish his goal. The writing style is rather descriptive, with which I don't mean there are loads of descriptions, but that the book is not very emotional. It simply describes what happens and lets the events carry the emotions, instead of the language. As a result, the book is not highly exciting, as some others are, but it is very appealing nonetheless, the kind of book you keep picking up almost involuntarily. ( )
  zjakkelien | Jan 4, 2013 |
This is a continuation of an old Asimov short story. This is the expanded story of Andrew, one of the original robots, now nearly immortal, and very nearly human. Very good collaboration between Asimov and Silverberg. Some of this material made it into the movie, The Bicentennial Man. ( )
1 vote Karlstar | Feb 9, 2009 |
One of my favorite novels, as well as the basis for one of my favorite movies, Bicentennial Man, this is the story of a robot who finds his inner humanity and works at making himself more and more human. This story is the antithesis of Frankenstein. ( )
  fduniho | Dec 28, 2008 |

Isaac Asimovprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Silverberg, Robertmain authorall editionsconfirmed
THE THREE LAWS OF ROBOTICS
1. A robot may not injure a human being, or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm.
2. A robot must obey the orders given it by human beings except where such orders would conflict with the First Law.
3. A robot must protect its own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the First or Second Law.
For Janet and Karen - with much love
"If you'll take a seat, sir," the surgeon said, gesturing toward the chair in front of his desk.

Robot Andrew (or NDR-113) strives to achieve the rights, privileges, appearance and ultimately even the weaknesses of being fully human. He is brought to the home of a wealthy politician as a standard household robot, but he quickly develops an artistic skill in woodworking. He proceeds to stretch his increasingly human-like mind, seeking and winning his freedom and legal rights, grieving as human friends die and he lives on, replacing his robotic parts with organic prostheses of his own design.

Science fiction novel based on the classic Asimov short story T he bicentennial man' which explores the theme of the future potential of robotics.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,081,218 books! | Top bar: Always visible