Bluebeard (1987)

by Kurt Vonnegut

"Broad humor and bitter irony collide in this fictional autobiography of Rabo Karabekian, who, at age seventy-one, wants to be left alone on his Long Island estate with the secret he has locked inside his potato barn. But then a voluptuous young widow badgers Rabo into telling his life story--and Vonnegut in turn tells us the plain, heart-hammering truth about man's careless fancy to create or destroy what he loves"--Cover.… (more)

English (30)  Swedish (1)  All languages (31)
An aging artist who has never quite found his muse, meets a middle-aged widow who is determined to get him out of the blues and find out what he has to offer to the world. This is his autobiography and sometimes diary.

I didn't know what to expect from a Vonnegut novel, and I didn't expect I would like it much from things I have heard about his other stories. Surprise, surprise! I enjoyed this very much. The characters were all quite interesting and the way they were introduced was like nibbling at a fine cheese, then wanting more. I think I learned more about the motives and reasons for Abstract Expressionism than I have ever learned from reading Art History books. Intriguing.

I did NOT expect a happy ending, not even sure it feels right, however, I am thankful for it because dreary books make me feel weary. Life is too dreary at the moment to read dreary fiction. ( )
1 vote MrsLee | Jan 25, 2021 |
I can't believe I have not read this wonderful book before. It is one of Vonnegut's best. ( )
  dandailey | Nov 8, 2020 |
Secret in a barn
a meddlesome new houseguest
all will be revealed. ( )
  Eggpants | Jun 25, 2020 |
an American artist chronicles his times. survivors syndrome-biographical?
  ritaer | Apr 15, 2020 |
Autobiographical sketch of Rabo Karabekian who hides a secret in his barn ( )
  JackSweeney | Jan 15, 2017 |
There may be greater noevelists than Vonnegut, but there can be a few, if any, with as much good humour and generorisy. His long-standing affection for his fellow science-fiction writers, a clan still beyond the pale of polite society - 'I love you crazy sons of bitches,' he told them in 'God Bless You, Mr Rosewater' - now extends to the whole human race, whose members also sit well below the salt but, in Vonnegut's eyes, display the same innocence, feckless enthusiasms and general tendency to trip over the furniture.

Vonnegut, Kurtprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bramhall, MarkNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kappanyos, AndrásTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sexton, MartinCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Having written "The End" to this story my life, I find it prudent to scamper back here to before the beginning, to my front door, so to speak, and to make this apology to arriving guests: "I promised you an autobiography, but something went wrong in the kitchen."
"If anybody has discovered what life is all about,“ Father might say, "it is too late. I am no longer interested."

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 163,316,520 books! | Top bar: Always visible