The Last of Chéri (1926)

by Sidonie-Gabrielle Colette

Series: Cheri (2)

A sequel to "Cheri". As Cheri's looks and his reputation begin to deteriorate, his life is thrown into crisis and he finds it impossible to settle down to a new life with his efficient, entrepreneurial wife, Lea, and friends.

French (1)  English (1)  All languages (2)
This book is both boring and brilliant. Nothing happens. The main character just mopes around Paris feeling sorry for himself. And as the reader you join the other characters in the book in trying to figure out the cause of his melancholia. Is it simply because he pines after Léa? Or is it because of his extreme narcissism? Or is it because Cheri too is one of the countless casualties of WW I? Someone who survived the war but finds himself on the other side of it, unable to adapt to the new order of things. Is it maybe just because he is a spoiled brat who never really grew up? After all, we already know from the first book that his upbringing left a lot to be desired. You never get a definitive answer.

After reading [b:Chéri|389115|Chéri|Colette|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1325621252s/389115.jpg|18924696] last year I was keen to get my hands on the sequel to see how one of the most dislikable characters that I'd come across in fiction, gets his comeuppance. I was looking forward to gloating over his demise. What I did not expect was to feel both empathy and sympathy for him!

I found the writing in this book to be absolutely brilliant. If it is so good in translation how well it must be in the original French? ( )
  pengvini | Mar 30, 2013 |
Cheri closed the iron gate of the little garden behind him and sniffed the nigh tair.

GenreThing

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 160,286,893 books! | Top bar: Always visible