The Complete Poems of Anna Akhmatova by Anna…

The Complete Poems of Anna Akhmatova (1989)

by Anna Akhmatova

I first learned of Akhmatova in a college course on Russian literature. I don't remember which poems we focused on, but I fell in love and received this collection for my birthday not long after. Her work and her writing is powerful. This edition is fantastic--very thorough and the perfect addition to the library of anyone who is interested in poetry in general or Russian writers specifically. ( )
  WritingMom | Jun 2, 2019 |
How do you review a collection this huge? It was honestly like reading the dictionary in some ways, especially for someone like me who has only a glancing familiarity with Russian literature and just enough 20th century history to get the references. Many, many of the poems are amazing and "5 stars" and so on, but reading the whole thing ended up being a slog, which I think is ultimately a problem with any "complete poems" when you try to read it end-to-end. On the other hand, if you're like "okay, I want to read these 6 Akhmatova poems/one of her published books of poetry/etc" this is a vital, 5 star book. So 3 stars for the experience with the caveat that a different experience would easily be 5 stars and this in no way represents the poet's quality. ( )
  jeninmotion | Sep 24, 2018 |
Mentioned in The Princessa: Machiavelli for Women by Harriet Rubin, but been meaning to add it for a while.
  velvetink | Mar 31, 2013 |
I haven't read the complete collection, just an edited anthology with Kunitz translating.

A slow and languorous howl of a collection - Russian poetry at some of its finest. Intense emotions in sparse words. ( )
  HadriantheBlind | Mar 30, 2013 |
She's wonderful! Her writing inspires me to write, and sing. I admire her work greatly. ( )
  Anagarika | Oct 30, 2009 |
We dedicate this edition
to the memory of
Amanda Haight (1939-1989)

Initially published in 1990, when the New York Times Book Review named it one of fourteen "Best Books of the Year," Judith Hemschemeyer's translation of The Complete Poems of Anna Akhmatova is the definitive edition, and has sold over 13,000 copies, making it one of the most successful poetry titles of recent years.

This reissued and revised printing features a new biographical essay as well as expanded notes to the poems, both by Roberta Reeder, project editor and author of Anna Akhmatova: Poet and Prophet (St. Martin's Press, 1994). Encyclopedic in scope, with more than 800 poems, 100 photographs, a historical chronology, index of first lines, and bibliography. The Complete Poems will be the definitive English language collection of Akhmatova for many years to come.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:18 -0400)

Initially published in 1990, when theNew York Times Book Review named it one of fourteen "Best Books of the Year," Judith Hemschemeyer's translation ofThe Complete Poems of Anna Akhmatova is the definitive edition, and has sold over 13,000 copies, making it one of the most successful poetry titles of recent years. This reissued and revised printing features a new biographical essay as well as expanded notes to the poems, both by Roberta Reeder, project editor and author ofAnna Akhmatova: Poet and Prophet (St. Martin's Press, 1994). Encyclopedic in scope, with more than 800 poems, 100 photographs, a historical chronology, index of first lines, and bibliography.The Complete Poems will be the definitive English language collection of Akhmatova for many years to come.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,089,388 books! | Top bar: Always visible