The Sound on the Page: Great Writers Talk about Style and Voice in Writing

by Ben Yagoda

In writing, style matters. Our favorite writers often entertain, move, and inspire us less by what they say than by how they say it. In The Sound on the Page, acclaimed author, teacher, and critic Ben Yagoda offers practical and incisive help for writers on developing and discovering their own style and voice. This wonderfully rich and readable book features interviews with more than 40 of our most important authors discussing their literary style, including: Dave Barry Harold Bloom Supreme Court Justice Stephen Breyer Bill Bryson Michael Chabon Andrei Codrescu Junot Díaz Adam Gopnik Jamaica Kincaid Michael Kinsley Elmore Leonard Elizabeth McCracken Susan Orlean Cynthia Ozick Anna Quindlen Jonathan Raban David Thomson Tobias Wolff… (more)

I went from one Ben Yagoda book to another...this one is all about literary voice. What is it? Can it be learned? Can it be taught? The answers to all these questions are inconclusive, of course, but Yagoda has a fine time talking shop with a bunch of fine writers and coming to some qualified conclusions. (If you had to boil his conclusion down to one sentence, it would be "The style is the man.") This is one of those books writers read when they don't feel like writing. (Not that there's anything WRONG with that...)
  subbobmail | Jun 18, 2010 |
A thoughtful, very well-written book about "style and voice in writing." Writing is "making consciousness manifest." ( )
  bobbieharv | Mar 17, 2008 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 170,119,003 books! | Top bar: Always visible