What Alice Forgot

by Liane Moriarty

Suffering an accident that causes her to forget the last ten years of her life, Alice is astonished to discover that she is thirty-nine years old, a mother of three children, and in the midst of an acrimonious divorce from a man she dearly loves.
    Remember Me? by Sophie Kinsella (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Told with humor, these two charming, character-driven novels share the stories of women who awaken from comas with amnesia, which has caused them to forget years of their lives. Faced with the unfamiliar, they must evaluate the choices they've made.… (more)
    The Life Lucy Knew by Karma Brown (Micheller7)
    The Bookseller by Cynthia Swanson (Micheller7)
    The Post-Birthday World by Lionel Shriver (citygirl)

English (235)  Finnish (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (237)
I think this one is even better than Big Little Lies. Loved it. ( )
  hubblegal | Aug 2, 2021 |
Liane Moriarty has a writing style that is so easily identifiable. This may be my very favorite of all her books - could it be that I relate a bit too much? Ok, I didn't hit my head at the gym and forget the past 10 years of my life, and my relationship with my husband is great...but juggling volunteer work at school, kids crazy schedules, too often seen ingratitude over meals kids didn't like...I could nearly lose my mind, too.

The question is - in ten years time, would we all like who we woke up to if the same happened to us? ( )
  jenncaffeinated | Jul 4, 2021 |
Loved it! ( )
  Skennerly | May 20, 2021 |
I've been on a bit of a Moriarty audiobook kick while I walk my dog in the mornings and commute to work. This was, as always, charming and entertaining, but I thought the ending fell flat, trying a little too hard to resolve happily. It's kind of a thought experiment: what if you forgot ten years of your life? It would be like forgetting who you were, but not quite. The parallel story about Elizabeth, Alice's sister, was especially interesting, but I never understood the point of the third storyline about Franny, their adopted grandmother. ( )
  jalbacutler | Apr 30, 2021 |
Alice has no memory of the last ten years of her life when she falls over. She can’t remember being a mother to three & can’t understand why she should be separated from her husband.

Strangely the second novel I have read in a week where the author uses amnesia to have the main character question their own personality.

Alice doesn’t like the sharp, organised woman she has apparently grown into.

A wry, contemporary novel about relationships, motherhood & priorities. A quick read, about recognisable people, & thoroughly enjoyable. ( )
  LARA335 | Mar 25, 2021 |
Twenty-nine-year-old Alice Love is pregnant with her first child, adores her husband, Nick, and has never set foot inside a spinning studio. Thirty-nine-year-old Alice Love suffers a sudden fall in her Friday spin class, wakes up with a splitting headache, and finds out she has three children and is in the middle of custody proceedings. Without any concrete memories of the past 10 years, Alice tries to figure out how her free-spirited 29-year-old self became a volunteer-coordinating, spin-class-attending 39-year-old woman. What Alice Forgot is an often funny, sometimes heartrending, deeply personal portrait of a woman attempting to unravel her own mystery.
added by kthomp25 | editBooklist

Life is all memory, except for the one present moment that goes by you so quickly you hardly catch it going. - Tennessee Williams
Marriage is an ordeal. - Joseph Campbell
For Adam
She was floating, arms outspread, water lapping her body, breathing in a summery fragrance of salt and coconut.
Early love is exciting and exhilarating. It's light and bubbly. Anyone can love like that. But love after three children, after separation and near divorce - after you've hurt each other and forgiven each other, bored each other, after you've seen the worst and the best - well that sort of love is ineffable. It deserves its own word.

Alice Love, having woken up on the gym floor and been rushed to the hospital with a head injury, believes she is twenty-nine, expecting her first baby, and madly in love with her husband, but, after realizing she has forgotten ten years of her life and is actually thirty-nine, she is forced to try and piece together what occurred over the past decade to result in her marriage and life not being as she had hoped it would be.
Ze dreef met haar armen wijd, het water zachtjes over haar lichaam klotsend, en ademde de zomerse geur van zout en kokos in. In haar mond hing een prettige nasmaak van een goed vullend ontbijt; gebakken spek en koffie en misschien iets van een croissantje. Ze tilde haar kin op en de ochtendzon scheen zo fel op het water dat ze haar ogen moest dichtknijpen om haar voeten door de glinstering te kunnen zien. De nagels van haar tenen hadden allemaal een andere kleur. Rood. Goud. Paars. Grappig. Wanneer Alice ontwaakt uit een heerlijke droom en erachter komt dat ze in de sportschool een val heeft gemaakt, weet ze dat er iets helemaal mis is. Ze haat sportscholen, dus hoe kan ze daar zijn? Alice’ eerste zorg is haar baby, want ze is hoogzwanger. Ze wil ook graag naar haar echtgenoot Nick. Hij zal zich zeker zorgen maken. Maar Alice ís niet zwanger en Nick is verre van bezorgd. Alice is moeder van drie kinderen en de vijandige Nick is onlangs een echtscheidings-procedure gestart. Alice is tien jaar uit haar geheugen kwijt. In de dagen die volgen komt het verleden stukje bij beetje weer boven en Alice is gedwongen enkele onaangename kanten van zichzelf onder ogen te zien. Haar geheugenverlies is in ieder geval onvergetelijk!

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Liane Moriarty's book What Alice Forgot was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,588,426 books! | Top bar: Always visible