Sandry’s Book

by Tamora Pierce

Series: The Circle Universe (1), Circle of Magic (1)

Four young misfits find themselves living in a strictly disciplined temple community where they become friends while also learning to do crafts and to use their powers, especially magic.
    In the Hand of the Goddess by Tamora Pierce (16AnnabelleC)
    Poison Study by Maria V. Snyder (terriko)
    terriko: Poison study reminded me of the whole Circle of Magic series, and the Circle Opens one.

When I first read 'Sandry's Book' and the rest of 'Circle of Magic' quartet, I liked it a lot, and I still do, but not in the same way now. As a BORING ADULT I lack the capacity to stuff my own thoughts and deeds into the wide spaces left in Tamora Pierce's world.

Because I can face the harsh truth now: Pierce is not a world builder. Not at all. What she is good at is character. Sandry, Tris, Daja, and Briar aren't particularly nuanced, but they're vivid archetypes, which is perfect for the backdrop world they inhabit. I used to daydream in this kind of book. This, despite, or even because of, how miserable the circumstances were when the main characters' magical talents emerged. The only survivor of a plague, passed from home to home without every having one, made a pariah by one's people because you didn't drown with the rest of your family, and finally at 11 being sentenced to a short brutal life of hard labor. Way over the top, but the way Pierce presents these circumstances of persecution and isolation and discrimination in a fashion that will be familiar to preteens and teenagers who feel those things so much and so badly even when they aren't necessarily justified.

And that is why I still like the book and what makes the story rise above enough (with a good boost from nostalgia) for me to want to commit to the whole series even after the first one's I read.

Circle of Magic

Next: 'Tris's Book' ( )
  ManWithAnAgenda | Oct 1, 2021 |
I love any book by Tamora Pierce. This series (Circle of Magic) is good and if it was by any other author I would call it great. However, since I have such high expectations for Tamora Pierce I cannot call it truly wonderful. The characters are where it falls a bit flat for me as the story line I quite like. ( )
  KateKat11 | Sep 24, 2021 |
Took me two days to finish it because I had to reread the whole thing. If people ask if I like it, I'd say "it's okay". I can't say I like the story or prtoagonists that much (because I was not).
Two characters, Daja and Tris, get mixed up in my memory because they almost have similar personality. Sandry and Briar stand out in the group. I feel bad for giving the story a low rating; it's actually nice, I just got bored from 25% onwards. Too dense writing? I don't know how my younger self would enjoy it.
Why did I even read it? I just want to accomplish my main booklist goals that took me almost adecade to finish.
If you like it, then good. I may still recommend it for young-at-heart, adventure-loving readers. ( )
  DzejnCrvena | Apr 2, 2021 |
This book is SUCH a good book for our current pandemic times; I said somewhere that Tamora Pierce books are 50% learning meditation, 50% crafting, and I stand by that but it's clearly deliberate with this series in particular. Just so soft and soothing to read, even the dramatic parts. And the character are fun even if they don't really feel super fleshed out in this space, and the relationships with mentors are so good. I'll definitely be rereading the rest of the series, but this was so good in this moment so if you need something short and soft, check it out! ( )
  aijmiller | Aug 27, 2020 |
Something about this story just didn't pull me in as much as Pierce's Tortall books. It's not bad, and there were parts I really enjoyed. I simply didn't love it as much as her other works. I may give the next in the series a try to see if it grows on me though. ( )
  bookbrig | Aug 5, 2020 |

Tamora Pierceprimary authorall editionscalculated
Albano, UrsulaCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Norey, VirginiaMapssecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
TheronCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Watkins, LiselotteCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
In the Palace of Black Swans, Zadkin, capital of Hatar: Blue eyes wide, Lady Sandrilene fa Toren watched her near-empty oil lamp.
There is ISBN confusion here because of publisher's accidental reuse of ISBN. Don't combine this one with Wild Wood by Jan Needle!

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 166,020,064 books! | Top bar: Always visible