In the Hand of the Goddess by Tamora Pierce
    Ella Enchanted by Gail Carson Levine (jfoster_sf)
    jfoster_sf: This is another great fantasy romance with plenty of adventure with a strong female character.
    Eon: Dragoneye Reborn by Alison Goodman (0628perfect)
    0628perfect: The female protagonist has to hide her sex and disguises herself as a boy to achieve her dream just like Alanna.
    Desert Witch (Witch Hunters) by Nicholas Todd (FFortuna)

I was glad to get back to this series and wasn't disappointed. Alanna is now a squire to Prince Jonathan and slowly growing up. She still knows that there is a sorcerer out there who wishes the royal family ill. However, she also knows she is in the hand of the goddess, although she never takes it for granted. In some ways this reads like a "good parts" version as most of the boring, daily routines of a squire's life are skipped over. I'm good with that -- after all, I don't really want to read "Alan got up, did squire stuff, and then went to bed. The next day was much the same."

As an adult reader, much seems obvious because I've read it before. However, it was still "new" to the young adult fantasy genre back when this book was written. To me, the fun was in the details of how everything was happening. Were there many surprises? No. But what shone through was that friendship and ties to other people are important. The real heroes are in many ways the ones who keep the story's hero grounded, much as Samwise did for Frodo.

Highly recommended as young adult fantasy, although I think adult readers familiar with the genre will also enjoy it. ( )
  Jean_Sexton | Jul 6, 2019 |
I loved seeing the next steps for Alanna as she became a knight and told everyone the truth. ( )
  StarKnits | Feb 6, 2019 |
Originally posted on Tales to Tide You Over

My sister and my boys have told me to read Tamora Pierce as far back as I can remember, so much so I thought I had. By now, I’m pretty sure I didn’t, or if I did, it was a different series. I’m having a great time exploring Tortall. It’s a sign of strong writing when, despite having read several books since the first in the Song of the Lioness series, I recognized all the characters when they reappeared in book two. More than that, I remembered the complications and suspicions, both Alanna’s and my own.

I had one small quibble in that the book is almost a series of short stories tied together with large time jumps. It took me a bit to adjust to this, but since nothing much happened in the time jumps, I wouldn’t have wanted it any other way. The story is a mix of action and summary to get you to the next point of action, covering a large time span…that of Alanna’s time as a squire for Jonathan.

The focus is less on her schooling than her emotional development. She’s still determined to see herself as both the same as any other squire and somehow exempt from the physical and emotional changes of puberty. Both George and Jonathan have something to say about that, as does an odd encounter in the woods.

Along with her relationships and challenges involved with her secret, Alanna is thrown into the realities of politics and battle. I thought both situations were well written as was the tangle of her direct enemy in this book, one she suspected but lacked proof of before. Interesting solution for why she didn’t come forward earlier though I’ll say no more for fear of spoilers.

I like Alanna. I like her friends, her familiar (yes, she gets claimed by a cat), and the complications she faces. She has help from odd quarters, but neither depends too heavily on that help nor takes it for granted. This last is huge because, while she’s the hero (capital H and all), she is never an island able to accomplish everything on her own and without tripping points. It makes her feel real and easier to form a bond with. ( )
  MarFisk | Aug 12, 2018 |
(This is a re-read. I read this book as a young girl, and just want to reacquaint myself with it.)
  ca.bookwyrm | Jan 26, 2018 |
I loved the Alanna books when I was a child. In this one, Alanna acquires a magical kitten, fights armies and wolves, finally has her Ordeal of Knighthood, examines her fear of love, and saves the life of the Queen. ( )
  atreic | Jan 24, 2018 |

Tamora Pierceprimary authorall editionscalculated
Alvarado, TriniNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Heyer, MarileeCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Patti,JoyceCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Tom -- the shoehorn for my triple D-sized love

and

to George, Pam, and Denise -- together we'll go very fast and very far on little tracks
The copper-haired rider looked at the black sky and swore.
"Why do boys say someone acts like a girl as if it were an insult?" (chapter 1, p.3)
"So?  He was stupid.  If I killed everyone who was stupid, I wouldn't have time to sleep" (33).

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0689878567, Mass Market Paperback)

"I don't want to fall in love. I just want to be a warrior maiden."

Still disguised as a boy, Alanna becomes a squire to none other than the prince of the realm. Prince Jonathan is not only Alanna's liege lord, he is also her best friend -- and one of the few who knows the secret of her true identity. But when a mysterious sorceror threatens the prince's life, it will take all of Alanna's skill, strength, and magical power to protect him -- even at the risk of revealing who she really is...

Alanna's journey continues...

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:23:32 -0400)

Pursuing her desire to be a knight, Alanna learns many things in her role as squire to Prince Jonathan, but fears Duke Roger, an ambitious sorcerer with whom she knows she will one day have to deal. "I don't want to fall in love. I just want to be a warrior maiden." Still disguised as a boy, Alanna becomes a squire to none other than the prince of the realm. Prince Jonathan is not only Alanna's liege lord, he is also her best friend -- and one of the few who knows the secret of her true identity. But when a mysterious sorceror threatens the prince's life, it will take all of Alanna's skill, strength, and magical power to protect him -- even at the risk of revealing who she really is ... Filled with swords and sorcery, adventure and intrigue, good and evil, Alanna's second adventure continues the saga of a girl who dares to follow her dreams -- and the magical destiny that awaits her. Alanna's journey continues.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,472,322 books! | Top bar: Always visible