Ella Enchanted by Gail Carson Levine

Ella Enchanted (1997)

by Gail Carson Levine

Series: Enchanted [Levine] (1)

Beauty: A Retelling of the Story of Beauty and the Beast by Robin McKinley (Caramellunacy)
    Caramellunacy: Beauty and the Beast rather than Cinderella, but another enchanting retelling of a fairy tale with a strong female protagonist.
    The Enchanted Forest Chronicles by Patricia C. Wrede (infiniteletters)
    The Two Princesses of Bamarre by Gail Carson Levine (Maiasaura)
    The Ordinary Princess by M. M. Kaye (infiniteletters)
    The Extra-Ordinary Princess by Carolyn Ebbitt (jfoster_sf)
    jfoster_sf: This book is a wonderful book for Ella Enchanted fans-richly told fairytale with a touch of romance that isn't cheesy.
    Toads and Diamonds by Heather Tomlinson (Aerrin99)
    Aerrin99: An excellent fairy tale retelling set in an India-like world.
    Bella at Midnight by Diane Stanley (Bonzer)
    The Book of a Thousand Days by Shannon Hale (wordcauldron)
    The Worst Witch by Jill Murphy (wordcauldron)
    The Princess Diaries by Meg Cabot (wordcauldron)
    Which Witch? by Eva Ibbotson (wordcauldron)
    A Hidden Magic by Vivian Vande Velde (amanda4242)
    13 Little Blue Envelopes by Maureen Johnson (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    Princess Ben by Catherine Gilbert Murdock (infiniteletters)
    The Decoy Princess by Dawn Cook (infiniteletters)
    A Pearl Among Princes by Coleen Paratore (Caramellunacy)
    Caramellunacy: These two books have a very similar fairy tale feel with strong female characters fighting against what has been pre-ordained for them. Both emphasize the importance of considering the greater good - even in romantic relationships.
    Glass Slipper, Gold Sandal: A Worldwide Cinderella by Paul Fleischman (meggyweg)

What a charming story of a young princess who has been given a fairy gift at birth that isn't exactly terrific. Ella is gifted obedience by a thoughtless fairy and she must obey and command or order given to her. When her mother dies, and her father remarries, because of her "gift" Ella basically becomes a servant to her stepmother and stepsister. (Cinderella anyone?) However, in this retelling of the fairy tale, Ella battles her "gift" to free herself and find true love.

I read this book because I bought it for my granddaughter and wanted to be able to talk with her about it. I think that I will show a side of respectful self-reliance and understanding for others. ( )
  cyderry | Jun 18, 2019 |
This is absolutely one of my favorite books. I have read this book upwards of 15 times. I prefer it so much more than Cinderella. I like to think of this book actually as Cinderella on steroids. The overall idea behind the book is that Ella was born and cursed by a crazy fairy to be obedient every time a direct order is given. What is great about her though is that she is possibly the most contrarian and independent individual on earth, so she hates being obedient, but also she has a sense of self preservation so she bites the bullet so to speak on many occasions. I would love to use this book as a good source of learning self respect in young girls and learning to stand up for yourself. I do only wish that it didn't have that element of solving your problems for love, but at least the prince loves her for who she actually is instead of her outer beauty.
  RachelLeibiger | Apr 30, 2019 |
Ella is another victim of reading childhood favorites past adolescence. I remembered the book as charming, witty, unexpected and fresh compared to other modern fairy tales and re-readings (I'm looking at you Donna Jo Napoli) which were pretentious and stiff.

I first read it when it was up for a Dorothy Canfield Fisher award and my school had a competition where four students who read every book nominated that year would be able to visit the award ceremony and hear the author speak. I was one of those lucky ones, though I can't remember a thing Gail Carson Levine said in her speech, I remember being thrilled.

For the book itself, I just found it tiresome, predictable (beyond the fact that I'd read it before, obviously) and tame. I suppose that Ella Enchanted still is a fresh-faced kind of book, but it held no charms for me anymore. ( )
  ManWithAnAgenda | Feb 18, 2019 |
This book is a great spin off of the famous Cinderella story. Ella is cursed by a fairy, Lucinda, and it has Ella obeying anything that is told to her. This is hard when her father remarries and travels for work while her stepmother stays at home treating her like a servant. This book talks about how Ella wants to break this curse so she can make her own decisions and be able to say no. This book is great for students to learn about fairy tales and decided what is fiction and non-fiction in the book. ( )
  AshleySurbrook | Nov 24, 2018 |
Need I really say anything?
Okay, I do have to say something: like with most books/movies, watching the movie can not be a substitute for reading this book. Although in most cases, it' just a couple things different between the book and the movie.
with this case, it's far more severe. the book and the movie share a title and a main character, and that's it. ( )
  Monica_P | Nov 22, 2018 |

Levine, Gail Carsonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Cetta, AlTypographersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Elliott, MarkCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Riegel, EdenReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rostant, LarryCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To David, more tunes.
That fool of a fairy Lucinda did not intend to put a curse on me.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0060558865, Paperback)

Every child longs for the day when he or she will be free from meddling parents and bossy grownups. For young Ella, the heroine of Gail Carson Levine's Newbury Honor-winning debut novel, this is more than a fanciful wish; it could be a matter of life or death. Placed under the spell of a blundering fairy, she has no choice but to go through life obeying each and every order--no matter what the consequences may be. "If you commanded me to cut off my own head, I'd have to do it."

Eden Riegel (As the World Turns, Les Miserables) uses her youthful, energetic voice to lead the listener into a familiar world of fairy godmothers, wicked stepsisters, and handsome princes. But this imaginative retelling of the Cinderella story comes with a welcome twist. Instead of a demure heroine patiently awaiting a prince who will carry her off, this Ella is a feisty ball of fire with the courage and ambition to take matters into her own hands.

Riegel narrates in a youthful, energetic tone that is perfectly suited to Ella's character. Her voice adds charm and immediacy to a wonderful story already rich with excitement, adventure, romance, and mystery. (Running time: 5.5 hours, 4 cassettes) --George Laney

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:31 -0400)

In this novel based on the story of Cinderella, Ella struggles against the childhood curse that forces her to obey any order given to her.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,708,865 books! | Top bar: Always visible