The Princess Diaries

by Meg Cabot

Series: The Princess Diaries (1)

Fourteen-year-old Mia, who is trying to lead a normal life as a teenage girl in New York City, is shocked to learn that her father is the Prince of Genovia, a small European principality, and that she is a princess and the heir to the throne.
    The Boyfriend List by E. Lockhart (emib)
    Spoiled by Heather Cocks (rarm)
    Geek High by Piper Banks (Caramellunacy)
    Caramellunacy: Both about an extremely gifted girl trying to fit in and finding her way through the trials of high school, including how to catch the attention of a crush who seems out of her league.
    A Royal Pain by Ellen Conford (infiniteletters)
    Real Mermaids Don't Wear Toe Rings by Hélène Boudreau (kaledrina)

English (142)  Spanish (3)  Finnish (1)  French (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Swedish (1)  German (1)  All languages (150)
For a book most people will gush about with nostalgia about reading it in middle school, this book is so inappropriate for that age group.

By page 5, our 14 year old main character Mia, wishes that her crush, 17/18 year old Josh, had been sexually harassing her.

While Mia did have some character growth, every time I thought we got past everything problematic in this book, she would say something else.

Like how she was grateful that her picture wasn't in the news because Iran had bombed Afghanistan.

Don't let your middle schooler read this. Just watch the movie instead. I've never seen it, but it can't be worse then this.

The only enjoyment I got out of it was watching Mia's character growth. ( )
  Susz13 | Jul 18, 2022 |
There are quite few “Are you there God? It‘s me Margaret.” moments with a “Clueless” feel. Not terribly deep but endearing. However, not my kind of YA. ( )
  christyco125 | Jul 4, 2022 |
I did not like this book. It just wasn't my style ( )
  Bookslesstravelled | Apr 15, 2022 |
I was surprised by how fun this was. Anne Hathaway as the narrator uses a young girl's voice. It is in the form of a diary. ( )
  nx74defiant | Feb 17, 2022 |
A student demanded I read this book, so I did. It was okay. One of those rare instances where I liked the movie more, but I wonder if that's because I've seen the movie so many times.

Eventually I will probably read the rest in this series (I really do like Lilly's written character better than in the film version) but I didn't feel compelled to go out and get the rest of the series right away. Enjoyable, to be sure, and when my nieces are older, I'll definitely recommend this one. ( )
  ms_rowse | Jan 1, 2022 |
Mia Thermopolis. An exciting, clever (yet flunking algebra), but perfectly average girl. Will she be able to be a royal like her father wants her to?
Mia is a perfectly normal 14 year old, average at school, average on the popularity scale and average parents. Or are they? One day her Dad unexpectedly invites her for lunch at a fancy restaurant where he tells her something that will change her life forever. She finds out that her father is the Prince of Genovia and that she is the heir to the throne. Her Grandmere, the Queen is upset when she declines this fabulous offer and says that she can't rule anything. Will she be ale to convince her parets that this is not what she wants? Or will they simply force her and she'll end up with a whole country under her wing? We found this book to be incredibly exciting and intense at certain moments. It had many twists, turns and jolts, making the book enjoyable to read. We would definitey recommend this book to teenagers mainly females.
added by TLHelen | editRead it, Jelena and Maha (Feb 11, 2012)

Meg Cabotprimary authorall editionscalculated
Sealey, AmberReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sealey, Amber RoseNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Slater, NicolaIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wendsche, KerstinLektorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"Whatever comes," she said, "cannot alter one thing. If I am a princess in rags and tatters, I can be a princess inside. It would be easy to be a princess if I were dressed in cloth of gold, but it is a great deal more of a triumph to be one all the time when no one knows it." A Little PrincessFrances Hodgson Burnett
Tuesday, September 23 Sometimes it seems like all I ever do is lie.

Mia Thermopolis is about to discover the truth about her heritage. The secrets that have been kept from her ever since she was born are about to unfold in view of the entire world. The day her father arrived is a day she will never forget. While dining with her father, Mia is told that her father is indeed the Prince of Genovia. Mia has always kept a diary and now more than ever she writes her feelings and thoughts. There are so many issues that she is dealing with: the fact that her father is a Prince, her mother is dating her Algebra teacher, her best friend has disowned her.
She tries to keep her acquired “royalty” a secret but someone has informed the press. She must now face her peers and learn how to be a princess. The boy she has always had a crush on now pays her attention and Mia does not realize until it is too late of his intentions. With help from her best friends’ brother and close friends, Mia rises to the top with a new confidence.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 176,906,089 books! | Top bar: Always visible