Street Magic by Tamora Pierce

It feels like Pierce is straining in this sequel series, The Circle Opens. The plots of the first two are remarkably similar, and the four characters of Winding Circle are travelling separately. So there is no interplay among the four. I miss that. These new young wizards being introduced lack the individuality of Pierce's other books. They seem to be uniformly poor, abandoned or picked-on, spunky, obstinate, non-trusting. Okay. Not the best way to build a series. ( )
  2wonderY | Aug 22, 2017 |
What can I say? Once again I was drawn to this Circle Audio book even though I know I'm reading this story out of sequence. Street Magic's a quick, engrossing, and entertaining story . Like the previous volumes, I'm enjoying this series more than when we met the original group at the Winding Circle, with its four rotating POVs. I thought the plot was fairly straightforward . As Tamora Pierce's only male character, Briar Moss, is one of her best characters. Amongst the rest of the mainly female cast, his charisma, street smarts and ongoing inner conflict between his younger, wilder instincts, and his older, more civilized self, makes him one of the most lovable and well-rounded characters in the Circle of Magic series. Seeing Briar show off his magic was rather awesome and how he takes Evvy under his wing as his student, even though she had Earth mage magic was remarkably written. I love the Circle of Magic series and recommend it to young and old (like me) alike.
Jack Murphy ( )
  urph818 | Jul 22, 2017 |
After becoming a council-recognized mage in his own right (at only 13!), Briar and his crotchety teacher Rosethorn start traveling their world, seeking new magics and spreading knowledge of their own. Briar has taken to cultivating the magical equivalent of bonsai trees, and while selling them in the bazaar he discovers a young street kid has magic. Convincing her to listen to him takes a great deal of effort--Evvy's as skittish as her bevy of cats--but eventually she agrees to be taught. The only problem is, the only stonemage in the area refuses to teach her. Briar is only a teenager himself, and his plant magic is utterly unlike Evvy's own stone magic, but seeing no either options he begins to teach her. But then a bored and power-hungry noblewoman starts a gang war, and Evvy has to work with her only half-realized magic to survive.

Briar is a goddamn badass in this book. He's my least favorite of the Circle mages (only because I love Daja, Tris, and Sandry so hard--he's a perfectly cromulent character), and it's easy to think that the magic of living plants is too slow and subtle to be useful in battle. Not so. Briar tangles his foes in vines, tortures them with pollen (almost killing one of them), even sets a tree to eat a guard from the inside out. He is a scary dude when he's riled. The action scenes in Pierce's novels are by far my favorite part, because as wonderful as her world-building and character development are, her action is just that much better. She is probably one of the best action writers working today.

Edited to add: also, Briar and Rosethorn's seed bombs are totally a real thing! So exciting! ( )
  wealhtheowwylfing | Feb 29, 2016 |
Briar is my favourite character of the quartet, so I was very excited to be reading his book. I always enjoyed reading his personality. His thought process was always amusing.

Once again, Tamora Pierce has impressed me. She creates a world which is both enjoyable and easy to read, and I found myself taking in every word. What I wished for (like in book one) was interaction between the quartet, and I feel that is what is missing for this series.

However, nonetheless, most enjoyable anyway, and I look forward to be reading the following 2 books. ( )
  ashooles | Nov 16, 2013 |
Briar becomes involved in local gang wars when he takes an interest in a young stone mage.

Briar and Rosethorn are some of my favorites, and I enjoy the new student Evvy as well. I'm looking forward to watching her grow with her expanding cat colony. ( )
  alwright1 | Mar 31, 2013 |

Hobin, ToddMusicsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Schoenherr, IanMapssecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
TheronCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Watkins, LiselotteCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
In the city of Chammur, on the eastern border of Sotat: For centuries it had been called, "fabled Chammur," "Chammur of the Flamming Heights," and "Mighty Chammur."

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0590396439, Mass Market Paperback)

Part of the 8-book Tamora Pierce reissue for Fall 2006, this title in the Circle Opens quartet features spellbinding new cover art. Coincides with the release of WILL OF THE EMPRESS in trade pb.

Briar Moss been training four years as a plant mage, but he hasn't put his past behind him. He meets a street girl, Evvy, using powerful magic to polish stones for a merchant, and resolves to find her a teacher. But Briar understands the city's gangs as well as he understands Evvy. When gang warfare breaks out, he discovers that the fiercest gang is seeking a stone mage to lead them to hidden gems. Only Briar and his magic can offer Evvy protection. Swept up in a bloody conflict, Briar must decide if he's ready to make the final step away from his former life as a "street rat".

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:00:37 -0400)

Former "street rat" Briar Moss must face his past when he discovers a young mage in need of a mentor.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 118,647,154 books! | Top bar: Always visible